p.2 Notice To Mariners - Beacon Light at Erie, Pa. - Oswego, November 2nd - A new illuminating apparatus (sixth order of catadioptric) will be placed in this Beacon on the eastern extremity of the North Channel Pier, and will be exhibited on and after the 30th day of August next.
This light is thirty-five feet above the present stage of water on the lake, and should be seen, under ordinary states of the atmosphere, from the deck of a vessel 15 feet above the water, at a distance of about 11 nautical or 13 statute miles.
The tower is a frame structure, painted white. The Shore Light bears S.E. by S., and is distant 1 mile.
The Point of the Shoal, which extends from the northward around the North Channel Pier, lies S.E. by E. 600 feet from the Beacon and N.E. by E. 1/2 E. 800 feet from the eastern end of the South Channel Pier.
Vessels beating into the entrance must keep open the southern face of the South Channel Pier and may stand to the southward until the eastern end of the South Channel Pier and keeper's dwelling house on the North Pier are in range.
The depth of water in the channel, on this bar, in ordinary stages is 12 feet.
The end of the South Channel Pier may be passed at a distance of 300 or 400 feet.
By order of the Light House Board.
Capt. Top. Eng., Inspector 10th L.H. District.
Nov. 10, 1854