Daily News (Kingston, ON), Nov. 28, 1854
- Full Text
p.2 A strong westerly gale prevailed throughout the day on Sunday, driving several vessels to the shelter of this harbor. The Oddfellow, while coming to opposite the town, lost her jib, and wnet ashore on Point Frederick, where she now lies, but not much injured. The Ellen also put back in a leaky state. The small steamer Pioneer was driven ashore below Cedar Island.
The Light House now nearly completed on the west end of Green Island, Lake Erie, 60 miles from Detroit and 20 from Sandusky, is nearly thirty feet square, and the Light House Tower, separated from it only by a short passage, is about eleven feet in diameter at the base, and diminishes at the height of 30 feet to nine feet diameter at the top. The basement is of rubble, faced with cut stone seven feet high, and the superstructure is of brick work. The tower is crowned with a cut stone circular platform, thirteen feet in diameter, composed of eight stones, one of which covers the passage to the dwelling. This platform weighs not less than seven tons; on it stands a brick parapet three or four feet high, capped with cut stone, and on this sits the lantern, a light looking octagon composed of seven lights.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Date of Original:
- Nov. 28, 1854
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Rick Neilson
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes