The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Daily News (Kingston, ON), Dec. 14, 1854

Full Text

p.2 We are pleased to learn that the crew of the Pomona are safe. After the vessel struck, they took to the yawl, and succeeded in making Grenadier Island, from which they were taken off and conveyed to French Creek.

Loss of the Bruce Mines Propeller - We regret to learn that a telegraph dispatch from the Captain of this vessel was received in town on Thursday, dated Fergus, communicating her total loss, she having foundered off Cape Hurd, on Lake Huron, on the 28th ultimo. The Bruce Mines was on her outward voyage from this port with the winter's supplies for the mines, and it can scarcely be but that her disastrous fate, independent of the mere pecuniary loss, will entail much inconvenience if not suffering on the mining population during the winter. Her crew, with the exception of one man, were fortunately all saved, and we understand that an ample insurance had been effected as well on the vessel as on her cargo. [Montreal Herald]

The Late Storm - Marine Disasters

From the Buffalo Republic of Friday

The schooner Sirius has gone ashore on Point au Pelee, somewhat near the Mayflower.

The propellers Sciota and Brunswick are frozen in at Toledo. The Toledo is laid up at Sandusky.

Capt. Dowlin reports that the schooner Ariel is ashore at Grand River; also that the barque B.S. Shepard is aground in Lake St. Clair.

The barque Chieftain, with a cargo of wheat from Milwaukee to this port, has been driven back to Chicago, and will lay up without unloading. Her cargo consisted of 14,000 bushels.

The propellers Falcon and Omar Pacha arrived yesterday. Both vessels lost their deckloads, consisting of $50,000 to $60,000 worth of copper, seed, wheat, etc. The Falcon was run into by the schooner C. Reeves, and was badly stove.

The barque Jesse Hoyt went ashore on Wednesday, on the lee of Point Abino. She lies in an easy position however, and will be got off without material damage. The accident was owing to the accumulation of ice on her bows and rigging, rendering her unmanageable.

The schooner Milwaukee Belle was bound to Chicago with a cargo of railroad iron. She had six feet of water in her hold.

We learn that portions of the cargo of some vessel supposed to be a total wreck with all on board lost, have come ashore at or near Van Buren on this lake: a part of the vessel, having on it the name of Reeves, was also found, which leads to the supposition that she was the C. Reeves which came in collision with the Falcon a few days ago, and has not been heard from since.

Schooner Denmark Ashore - The schooner Denmark, with a cargo of 10,000 bushels of corn, from Chicago bound to the port of Ogdensburgh, went ashore about 6 o'clock last evening on the Peninsula, above the lighthouse. She had sprung a leak on her passage down and run into Gravelly Bay, but was obliged to come to this port in order to unload, and in attempting to make the harbor the captain found himself in three fathoms of water. While coming in stays the vessel got stern way on her and struck, where she now lies in an easy position, and will probably be got off if the weather holds fair. The schooner is insured for $5,000 in the Buffalo Mutual, and belongs to C.H. Richmond, of Chicago. The cargo belongs to P.H. Ball, of Chicago, and is also supposed to be insured.

From the Buffalo Republic of Saturday.

The schooner President is reported ashore near Point Betsey, Lake Michigan.

The creek, notwithstanding a passage was opened yesterday by the steamer Hudson, is again frozen up this morning.

The barque Norman, lying near Hatch's Elevator, caught fire last evening in her forecastle, but it was soon extinguished by the prompt action of our firemen. The damage is slight.

The crew of the schooner C. Reeves have arrived, and report that vessel laid up at Gravelly Bay. The vessel whose cargo is reported as coming ashore at Van Buren, cannot therefore be the one referred to yesterday. We wait with anxiety to learn the name of the unfortunate vessel whose fate is now employed in mystery.

A vessel was seen enveloped in flames off Pine River, about 22 miles north of Goderich, Canada West, on Monday of last week. The vessel sunk in forty minutes, and from the fierceness of the flames, it was supposed she was loaded with whisky. The Huron Signal gets this from an eye-witness.

From the Milwaukie Sentinel of Wednesday.

Lake Arrivals, Vessels Heard From, etc. - The propeller Saginaw, which struck a reef in Detroit river some weeks since, and was got off and docked at Walden, arrived on Sunday. Her cargo is in pretty good condition, considering the hard knock which the vessel has received. Capt. Crosby states that but few of the packages bound to this port had been damaged. He reports the schooner Hagar, bound here, with a cargo partly of railroad iron, ashore at Beaver Island Harbor, where she put in, in a leaky condition, having suffered from bad weather since leaving the St. Clair River. Capt. Crosby thought that she would be pumped out, and get home safely.

The schrs. Fred Hill, Capt. Davis, Dickinson, Capt. Waffie, and Dewitt, Capt. Stone, were safe in the river yesterday morning. Captain Davis has had a hard time with his fine vessel. She is loaded with coal and iron from Cleveland, and sprung a leak soon after getting into Lake Huron. The Dickinson was hailed when the leak was gaining, and the Hagar was also spoken. The captain of the Dickinson agreed to stand by the Fred Hill, so as to save her crew if it came to the extremity. Capt. Davis, however, succeeded in getting his vessel into Mackinac, having 3 1/2 feet of water in her hold, and there dug down through her cargo of coal and iron, having discovered and stopped the leak, and run for home.

The Dickinson has 120 tons iron for the Lake Shore Railroad.

The brig Empire State, Captain Dimick, came near the entrance to the river on Sunday afternoon, and was taken in tow by the tug G.W.Tifft, but just as she was crossing the bar, the hawser parted, and before it could be made fast again, the brig swung around across the channel, effectually blocking the entrance. Lighters were sent down yesterday morning, and she was got off and moored to the pier.

The brig Robert Burns came near the mouth of the river the same evening, but finding no way to get in, stood off to sea again. The schooner Sam Strong and another vessel lay at anchor in the bay all day.

From the Milwaukie Sentinel of Thursday.

The clerk of the propeller Forest Queen is here, having come across the country. He reports the vessel as not damaged by the gale on Lake Erie, as was reported, and expects her here shortly.

The brig Robert Burns was off the harbor all day yesterday, having lost her centre-board, and unable to beat in, the wind being off shore. Unfortunately, the steam tug has been laid up, and is now fast frozen in. The Burns was towed in by the propeller Nile in the afternoon.

The propeller Pocahontas and Saginaw are fast in the river, the ice having formed so as to prevent them from proceeding to Chicago.

The schooner Twin Sisters, bound for Chicago to Buffalo with grain, put into the river in distress yesterday, and entered protest, having suffered damage in the late rough weather.

The schooner Virginia Purdy, which left this port on Friday evening last for Buffalo, has returned, her deck and rigging loaded with ice, and will probably abandon the voyage.

In addition to the above we are favored with the following telegraphic despatch to E. Walter, Esq.: -

Buffalo, December 11th, 10 a.m. - The propeller Niagara, bound to Chicago with a full load of goods, struck a rock in Isle Harbor, and lies sunk in shoal water, and is frozen in. She will have to remain till spring. At this time she has about three feet of water in her hold.

From the Lockport Courier.

Later From Olcott - The vessels ashore at Olcott, noticed in our paper of Tuesday last, turned out to be the Isabella, of Cleveland, and bound for Cleveland, and loaded with 1,575 barrels of salt, and the Minerva, of Kingston, loaded with railroad iron. The vessels lay about the distance of six and twelve rods from the shore.

The citizens of Olcott, unable to communicate with them, conceived the happy idea of attaching a small cord to a stone, and by the aid of a sling threw the stone into the rigging of the vessel farthest removed from the shore. By this means they carried to the vessel a line; and by means of the line a boat was enabled to proceed to the vessel and back to shore, bringing off the crew. To this simple contrivance both the crews are indebted for a rescue from their uncomfortable and dangerous position.

The sea at intervals has been very heavy, breaking over both vessels in a violent manner, and they are now covered with ice half way to the top of the spars. There is still remaining on the Minerva a valuable horse, which is in a comfortable position as yet, having plenty of food.

Between Olcott and Somerset there is another vessel ashore, name unknown.

Dec. 19, 1854

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Dec. 14, 1854
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Daily News (Kingston, ON), Dec. 14, 1854