p.2 Port Hope - The New Harbor - The Cobourg Star furnished the annexed information as to the capacity of the new harbor at Port Hope, and the progress made on the work: -
"The new harbor covers an area of about 7 acres. There will be a strip of about 6 acres left between the old pier on the west side and the eastmost pier of the new harbor. This space will be used for running tracks for the Railroad, for a turn-table and for storehouses. The creek will continue to empty through the piers of the old harbor. The new harbor will run out into the lake 1240 feet, and inside the present beach 800 feet; the whole will be 420 feet in width; the opening will be 250 feet. The ship-yards for repairing and building will be on the west side of the old harbor, and will have three marine railways for drawing out vessels. The depth of the new harbor will be 14 feet outside the present beach, and 11 feet inside. The entire length of wharf accommodation will be in the new harbor 4950 feet reckoning outside. There is to be no channel cut between the old and new harbor; vessels will have to haul round. The width of the new piers will be 30 feet, terminating in a square on both sides of 60 feet. On the west side the light-house will be erected. The railroad terminus will be opposite the east side of the new harbor and adjoining it. The land occupied for railroad purposes will cover an area of about 7 acres. The contract for the harbor has been let to Mr. George Weir, and is to be completed by the 31st Dec., 1856. The light-house is to be 96 feet high, of an octagon form, and built of wood. Mr. Simms is the contractor's engineer, and Mr. T.C. Clarke the Company's engineer; subcontractors for earth work, Morton & Jones; for timber work, Messrs. French, Shevar & Co.. The Harbor Commissioners are T.G. Ridout, Jas. Smith, Elias P. Smith, J.S. Smith, N. Kirchhoffer, R.N. Waddell, F. Beamish and P. Robertson, Esquires. C. Hughes, Secretary and Treasurer. Too much praise cannot be awarded to Messrs. J. Morton and Ralph Jones, the sub-contractors, for the rapid and masterly manner in which they are doing their work. Already have they excavated nearly one-half of the basin and put in the crib work. As to the crib work we have never seen anything to equal it for solidarity and workmanship."
Feb. 2, 1855