The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Daily News (Kingston, ON), Nov. 17, 1855

Full Text

p.2 Marine Intelligence - We cut the following items from the Oswego Times:

Vessel Sunk - The Canadian schooner Caroline Marsh, with a cargo of 14,245 bushels of upper lake wheat, taken aboard at St. Catherines, while being towed up the harbor yesterday morning, dropped her anchor, (fearing that she would run into a canal boat), ran on to it, staving a hole in her bottom, and sunk in water almost up to her bulwarks, wetting her entire cargo. The Northwestern's steam marine pump was put into operation, and her cargo is being discharged, this morning, by a floating elevator. It is supposed the wheat is insured in Chicago, 10,245 bushels of which is consigned to S.J. Holley, and 3,000 to Fitzhugh and Littlejohn. The vessel, we understand, is insured in the Star Co. of Ogdensburgh, and a Canadian company.

Propeller Fintry Blown Up - The propeller Fintry burst her boiler on the 8th, while off Port Stanley. The second engineer was on duty at the time, the first engineer being asleep in the cabin above. Capt. Langley was asleep forward. Immediately after the explosion, which was on the starboard side, as Capt. L. went out on deck, he said it appeared as though the whole side was blown out. She went down in less than two minutes. The crew clung to such portions of the wreck as they could, until finding the life-boat and yawl, to which such as were not killed or nearly so by the explosion, betook themselves. There were 22 souls on board, of which the following were lost: 2nd Engineer, 1 fireman, 1 waiter, steward's wife, and 4 deck hands. The steward's wife was drowned as the propeller went down. Others, it is supposed, were either killed immediately or so mutilated as to be unable to help themselves. The propeller was valued at $35,000 - insured for $25,000 - freight list not insured - amount about $3,000. She was owned by J.H. Hurd & Co., of Detroit.

Troubles On the Bay - The Picton Gazette of Thursday says:-

The captain and whole crew of the steamer Bay of Quinte were bound over yesterday at Belleville to appear at the next assizes. It appears that a complaint had been entered against Capt. Carrell for having having left the port of Belleville on the Sabbath day, and the complaint having been proved, a fine was inflicted, which he refused to pay. This led to the issue of a warrant commitment, which was resisted by the captain and the boat's crew, and only enforced by a large body of special constables who were sworn in for the occasion, and carried them all off captives. This is one version of the story; another is, that a constable, without exhibiting any warrant, or stating in what capacity he figured, snatched Capt. Carrell's watch from his pocket, and was very properly kicked out of the boat.

The night of Monday last was made memorable by a tremendous storm on the bay and lake. The steamer Bay lay at the Isle of Tanti until the following morning, and the St. Helen lay all night in this harbor. The "blackness of the darkness" was really appalling. The Corra Linn was blown ashore about five miles on this side of Belleville, and lay there all yesterday.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Nov. 17, 1855
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Daily News (Kingston, ON), Nov. 17, 1855