The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Daily News (Kingston, ON), May 6, 1856

Full Text

p.2 Rideau Canal - The Beaver left this port with cargo and passengers for Ottawa on Thursday last, but in consequence of the shallowness of the channel at Jone's Falls could proceed no further. She returned on Sunday morning, and left again yesterday afternoon in hopes of better fortune. The Prince Albert from Ottawa, with cargo of oatmeal, shingles, etc., from the Mills of J.S. French, Burritts Rapids, was aground at Jones Falls at last accounts. The Firefly left this port yesterday at Noon for Ottawa.

Collingwood Line Completed - the same boats as last year - Key Stone State, Lady Elgin, Queen City, Louisiana and Niagara, joined by Buckeye State, formerly of Michigan Central line. [Oswego Times]

Frightful Collision - Steamer Northerner Sunk

(first 2 paragraphs as copied in Whig)

Mr. John A. Huff, his wife and seven children, were in the steerage of the Northerner. He was awakened by the noise of the collision, and immediately gathering his family together, pushed them towards the main deck. On deck he missed one of the children, and, returning to the steerage, found it in the water then some two or more feet deep. He caught it and got it safe on deck just as the youngest of his flock was swept overboard. He plunged into the water, swam some thirty feet, and succeeded in saving this child also. He, with those for whose safety he had struggled so hard, were finally all got aboard of the Forest Queen.

Many of the passengers on board the Northerner had retired, and were saved with only their night clothes. No baggage or freight of any kind was saved. The passengers and crew of the lost steamer were brought down to Newport, , where the females and others were provided by the kindness of the citizens, with garments, etc. The Forest Queen arrived here about 4 o'clock, p.m.

The night was very dark and foggy. As to the cause of the collision, or the party blamable, we can give no opinion. In many material points, statements are conflicting.

The Northerner lies in about twenty-five feet water. She was purchased the present spring by Messrs. Darious Cole and A.L. Kelsey - her Captain and Clerk - for $20,000, and this was her first trip under her new owners. She was insured for $11,000. She had on board about fifty tons of mixed freight. A good portion of it was for Messrs. Beech, Moore, & Co. of Saginaw. All of the crew, with the exception of the 2nd engineer, were saved.

The passengers and crew saved number one hundred and thirty-two. Some passengers are of opinion that several were lost, but no one is particularized.

The Forest Queen returned from Port Huron to the scene of disaster in the morning, and then sailed for this city. Even if passengers are missing, there is a chance that they reached the shore in safety, as many articles were thrown overboard to assist those who leaped into the water, of whom there were but comparatively few, and all that were seen were taken on board the Forest Queen. [Detroit Free Press April 29th]

Imports - May 4, 5th.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
May 6, 1856
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Daily News (Kingston, ON), May 6, 1856