The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Daily News (Kingston, ON), Nov. 12, 1878

Full Text

p.3 Marine Notes

The schr. Garibaldi, reported ashore up the lake on Saturday, cleared from Brockville for Oswego last week, being loaded with lumber. She was leaking badly when driven on shore. She cost $15,000 and was insured for $8,000. It is thought she can be saved when the weather calms. None of the crew were lost.

The schr. Pearl, loaded with lumber, went ashore on Knapp's Point yesterday. She was pulled off by the tug Traveller, Captain Sullivan, which is doing harbour duty just now.

Quick Trip - The schr. Vision, Capt. Harris, left this harbour at noon on Friday, went up to Trenton, took on a load of lumber, and arrived here again at 9 o'clock on Sunday morning. This is good time for the little schooner.

The tugs Franklin and Mixer have gone into winter quarters.

Port Colborne, Nov. 11th - Up - schooner Shandon, Port Dalhousie, Port Colborne, light.


The schooner Speedwell, Capt. Ewart, with 207,000 feet of lumber from Brockville, consigned to O.M. Bond, went ashore a little east of Four Mile Point at five o'clock this morning. The crew were all rescued. The Speedwell lies about 200 feet from the beach on a soft sandy bottom and will probably be got off as soon as the gale subsides.

The Speedwell left Brockville for Oswego Wednesday night. All went well until last night. About 8 o'clock last night, the weather became thick and the wind increased to a gale. When about ten miles off Oswego, the vessel which was leaking had made so much water that she careened over on her side and about 20,000 feet of lumber of her deck load was thrown overboard to make her stand up. She then righted up. The Captain failed to make Oswego light and went above off Little Sodus. When he discovered where he was he put about for Oswego. The wind was blowing a gale from the northeast. He left Little Sodus light about three o'clock this morning. He then tried to come in stays and stand out into the lake but missed stays. The vessel was too near shore to wear out. It was very dark and thick and snowing briskly. All efforts to keep the vessel off the beach failed and at about five o'clock this morning she went ashore, stern on. The vessel was sailing under close reefed foresail and mainsail. About the time she struck she lost her rudder and broke her main boom. Luckily the vessel went ashore in a good place, upon a smooth sandy bottom and within 200 or 300 feet of the beach. But the wind was blowing a heavy gale and the seas were rolling at such a height that the captain and crew could do nothing towards getting ashore until daylight.

As soon as the news reached the city this morning, Capt. Blackburn and members of the life saving crew, Inspectors Adkins and Barnes, of the custom house, Supt. Cunningham and others went to the rescue. By 11 o'clock 30 or 40 men, mostly from the city, had gathered on the beach. Notwithstanding the vessel was so near the beach, the crew could not come ashore in the yawl which filled with water as soon as it was let down into the seas. Several attempts were made to send the yawl ashore which were finally successful and it was hauled upon the beach. Various expedients were then tried to get a line from the vessel to the beach and finally a small barrel and the line came ashore. A larger line was then pulled ashore and made fast to the bow of the yawl boat, while another line was fastened to the stern.

Mr. Cunningham then got into the yawl which was launched and the crew of the vessel pulled it through the tremendous sea to the schooner. Captain Ewart was then taken ashore and afterwards the remainder of the crew came ashore in safety in the same manner with the Captain's assistance.

The three trips made by the yawl were each full of peril and it looked as though the boat would capsize, but luckily she escaped. The crew were kindly cared for by the residents in the vicinity. The crew consisted of the captain, five seamen and a woman cook. The last man reached the shore at one o'clock p.m.

The schooner Speedwell is owned by Captain Ewart and Messrs. Hagerty and Grasette, of Toronto. She was built at South Bay in 1875, rates A 1, tonnage 180, and cost $15,000. She is insured for $8,000.

As soon as the gale subsides, the cargo of lumber will no doubt be lightened and the vessel got off the beach without sustaining any additional damage. [Oswego Times]

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Nov. 12, 1878
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Daily News (Kingston, ON), Nov. 12, 1878