The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Weekly Chronicle & News (Kingston, ON), Oct. 15, 1858

Full Text

p.1 The Toronto Regatta Club - At a banquet given by this Club after being thoroughly beaten by the Yankees, sundry wet speeches were made by members of the Club; among others, the Commodore, better known as Dr. Hodder, without cause or provocation, in the absence of anyone to defend the conduct of the gentlemen attacked, charged the Kingston Yacht Club with having illtreated the owners of the Coral after the race which came off here some weeks ago. Had the quasi Commodore been present at the Regatta here, and witnessed any improper treatment of the owners of the Coral, some excuse might be offered for his attack. But as the owners of the Coral were treated with all courtesy while here, and expressed satisfaction at the honorable manner in which they were met in all their transactions by the Club here, the only motive that can be imputed for the Doctor's is a wilful desire to cast odium upon gentlemen who have never offended him, or given cause to anyone for the charge alleged.

The subject will, no doubt, receive proper attention at the hands of the aggrieved parties through the Toronto Atlas, in whose columns the slander first appeared.

About eleven o'clock on Saturday morning last, a deck-hand on board the propeller Globe, bound from Buffalo to Cleveland, fell down the engine room, some twelve feet, striking on the engine when it was in full motion, and literally crushing him to fragments. His name was James Malony. The bulkhead around the engine hatch is some five feet high, and was surrounded by freight, among which was a sofa placed on some barrels. It seems that Maloney laid down on the sofa and fell asleep. In turning over, on awakening, he upset the sofa and fell as above stated.

p.2 The melancholy disaster at the Rapid du Platte continues to awaken the sympathy of the public with the sorrowing friends of the unfortunate men killed and lost. Mr. Calvin, the father of the young man so suddenly torn from the fairest worldly prospects and devoted relations and friends, is inconsolable for his irretrievable deprivation. The loss of every material earthly possession could have been borne with comparative equanimity, but the loss of the youthful hope of his declining years is one for which nothing in this world can offer consolation. To all the inhabitants of the Island he was beloved with the affection of a friend and brother, and none can speak of him and his sad, premature fate, without exhibiting the deep emotions of grief and sadness. Mr. Calvin had determined to transfer his interest in the firm to his beloved son, next year: he having earnestly devoted himself to the business of his father, had earned the confidence of both himself and his partner, Mr. Breck.

The body of the second Engineer, Tilleck (not Tulloch, as we first had the name) was left with his friends, at Prescott, where a Coroner's inquest was to be held.

The man Valley, who was on Saturday coming up in the St. Lawrence, in consequence of his dying state was left at Prescott under proper care.

Kingzela, not Kingsley, was the name of the fireman who was killed.

The number of persons known to be dead is three, and the number missing four.

The Hercules lies in American waters, at the foot of an island, whose name we could not learn, and though a good deal shattered in the forward part, it is supposed it can be put in running order for six or seven thousand dollars.

The cause of the explosion of the boiler is still a mystery. The boilers had, before being used, been tested with a pressure of 45 pounds to the inch, and when the accident took place the register indicated only 33 inches.

The Toronto Atlas is misinformed as to the yacht Belle not being heard of since she left Toronto. She is lying safe and snug in this harbor, and has been so for many days.

Imports - Port of Toronto - value of exports, duties, etc.



Marine Disaster - Wreck of the Schooner Ospray

Loss of Mate, Captain's Wife and Child!

The wind commenced blowing yesterday afternoon and increased in violence till it blew a perfect gale. The sea rolled heavily this morning, and fears are entertained for the safety of vessels out.

The schooner Ospray, Capt. J. Parsons, in attempting to enter the harbor last night between 10 and 11 o'clock, under double reefed foresail, staysail and jib, and part of double-reefed mainsail, was struck by a heavy squall from W.S.W., and driven against the East Pier, inside, carrying away some of her rigging, with a heavy sea dashing over her at the time. Capt. Parsons immediately went into the cabin and took his child and told his wife to follow him. When they got near the fore rigging the sea knocked the Captain down to leeward and washed his wife overboard. When the Captain reached the fore rigging another sea struck him, and washed his child overboard, which was lost. He finally saved himself by getting on to the jib-boom, which was over the pier. One of the men got off from the main boom. The mate and one of the crew remained in the fore rigging, and were prevailed upon to come down and got on to the pier from the bowsprit. As soon as they reached the dock the bowsprit was carried away, and the vessel swung off. The mate was washed overboard and drowned, and his companion saved himself by swimming to a canal boat.

The tug Wm. Morgan fired up and went to the wreck, but too late to render any assistance. When she reached the Ospray, the work of destruction was accomplished, and nothing could be discovered but portions of her bulwarks, at intervals, as the wild waves were rolling over her.

The Ospray was laden with wheat from Racine for this port, to Carrington & Preston, and we understand it is insured. The vessel is owned at Buffalo, and we believe is insured in the Buffalo Mutual.

The brig Saxon, frm Milwaukie, split her topsail and had her bulwarks and boat smashed just outside the pier, last night, by heavy seas, which made clean sweeps over her.

The brig Rio Grand, from Chicago, had her staysail blown away.

The brig Seminole, which cleared yesterday for Milwaukie, with coal, put back last night, with slight damage to her rigging and canvass.

During the night, the schooner Pierpont broke loose from her moorings at the Ontario Warehouse, and drifted to Miller's shipyard, with no one aboard. She received some slight damage. [Oswego Times]

The steamer Indian, which left Toronto for Montreal, chartered by Capt. Charles Perry, of the steamer Bowmanville, was wrecked below Cobourg, and put in last Thursday at Newcastle to take in some flour, but in consequence of the gale that was blowing, she had to put out again. The steamer Ranger broke down coming up from Montreal, and had to put in some port east of this. [Atlas]

Canal Navigation - A New Motive Power Necessary - hard on horses. (2/3 column) [St. Catherines Constitutional]

p.4 A fierce gale began blowing Thursday night from the West, and continued with great violence until yesterday afternoon, when it gradually abated. During its continuance in the morning, several vessels were drifted from their moorings in the upper end of the harbor, dragging their anchors a considerable distance, in the direction of Point Frederick, against whose peak the huge waves dashed with extreme fury, throwing up clouds of spray at every concussion. A small schooner drifted from a point nearly opposite the Marine Railway, to a position in line with the City Buildings, where she continued some hours baffling the tremendous waves which sometimes broke over her deck. She pitched and labored in such a fearful manner as to attract the attention of numerous persons all along the shore. About half past ten o'clock a signal of distress was hoisted, which was unheeded for some time, when a boat with five men put out from Kinghorn's wharf, and bravely succeeded in reaching her. They immediately went to work, raised her anchor, partially hoisted her sails, put her on her course down the river to seek shelter under the foot of Wolfe Island, and left for the shore. Gallantly did the "jolly boat" (for such it proved to be) struggle against the strong wind and deep rolling billows, sometimes displaying her whole figure on a "crested wave," then almost lost to view in the "cradle of the deep." The writer watched the progress of the little craft with great interest until she reached the wharf whence she started, and being desirous of learning something of the vessel relieved from peril, he went to the wharf. There he learned that the party which manned the jolly boat was Capt. Estes, H. Blondheim, 1st mate, __ Williams, 2nd mate, and three hands of the

American steamer Ontario, detained here by the storm. From Captain Estes he learned that the schooner was the Twilight, belonging to Charlotte, Genesee river; she was loaded with bricks at Picton, and was bound to Millen's Bay, between Cape Vincent and Clayton. She had on board only the master, a hand, and a small boy. She had made some water, and her master or captain was terror-stricken, and ignorant of what was necessary to be done to save his vessel. Captain Estes and his men were drenched from head to foot. Too much praise cannot be given them for their humanity and intrepidity in this instance.

The schooner Napolean Malekoff, a larger vessel, dragged her anchor a long distance, and eventually came to opposite Scobell's wharf, about midway between this shore and Point Frederick. There her anchors held fast, otherwise she would have been dashed against the opposite shore, at a short distance to leeward; the bottom is flat rock, affording no hold for an anchor. Being in jeopardy from the force of the gale and high sea, Mr. Wm. Anglin sent his tug-boat Godard to her relief, and after considerable trouble the anchors were weighed, and the little steamer bravely towed the schooner into safe moorings. Three or four other schooners, one named the Annie Craig, and another the J.G. Beard, rode out the gale without any damage.

An unknown vessel was seen, capsized, on the Wolfe Island shore, in the neighborhood of Four Mile Point, where she is by this time dashed to pieces, as she was exposed to the full force of the storm on a lee shore.

In consequence of the severity of the storm, the steamers Banshee and Champion did not reach this port; their day of sailing is consequently changed to Sunday. The Colonist thus describes the storm of Thursday:-

A storm of a very violent nature prevailed in this city - and we suppose extended over a large section of country - all day yesterday. The wind on the previous evening blew strongly from the south-west, and rain fell occasionally during the night. Yesterday morning, however, the storm concentrated, the wind blew almost a hurricane, there was great thunder and lightning, and rain fell heavy for a time. The clouds passed away about 9 o'clock; but the wind still continued with great violence. It then blew from the West, and no sailing vessel was enabled to leave port. The steamers, however, made their regular trips, notwithstanding the heavy sea. The only casualties that we heard of were those of the steamer New Era, the shaft of which was broken, and it was with difficulty she arrived at her wharf; and a schooner, the name of which we did not learn, had her topmast carried away in the offing.

The schooner City of Toronto arrived yesterday from Lake Erie. She suffered very severe weather, had her topmast carried away, and was otherwise injured.

Dreadful Steamboat Accident - On Saturday morning last, at 8 o'clock, the new steamer Hercules, belonging to Messrs. Calvin & Breck, Garden Island, employed as a tug boat on the river St. Lawrence, while towing the steamer New Era, disabled by the breaking of her shaft, up the Rapid Plat, about 25 miles below Prescott, burst her boiler and sank, causing the death of several persons. One man named Kingsley was found on the wreck quite dead, the Hercules not being entirely submerged, and several others are missing, among whom we regret to mention Dexter Calvin, junior, son of Mr. D. Calvin, one of the owners of the boat, an estimable young man about 22 years old. Martin Feeby, the captain of the old America, and Archibald Cambridge, employed as wheelsman on the America. Captain Miller, of the Hercules, the engineer, and several of the hands were badly scalded or otherwise injured.

Full particulars of this sad calamity have not reached us. Dr. Meagher, at the request of Mr. Breck, proceeded by the railroad on Saturday afternoon to render aid to the sufferers.

The steamer Gildersleeve, belonging to the same firm, left port on Saturday noon for the scene of the disaster, and the same evening the America went down to the same place.

Although Messrs. Calvin & Breck have employed a number of steamers on the river for some years, this is the first calamity of the kind, causing the loss of life, that has occurred. Joseph Valley, one of the hands injured, was on board the St. Lawrence steamer on her way to this port on Saturday evening. On arrival he was to be sent to the General Hospital.

Since the above was in type a telegraph has been received, which states that Captain Miller's recovery from the injury he received is very doubtful.

A man is supposed to be in the hull of the Hercules.

In addition to those mentioned as injured, are D. Doyle, T. Terrion, first engineer, Patrick Malone, fireman, William Longueuil, Thos. Christopher, J.K. Tulloch, 2nd engineer. Edward Russel and John Crawley escaped unhurt.

Rowing Match - between Toronto and Chicago Rowing Clubs for the championship of the lakes is postponed until 13th; members of Toronto crew are Mr. W. Dillon, stroke oar; Mr. T. Tinning, mid oar; Mr. M. Teedy, mid oar; Mr. J. Tinning, bow oar; R. Tinning, aged 11 years, coxswain. [Detroit Advertiser]

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Oct. 15, 1858
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Weekly Chronicle & News (Kingston, ON), Oct. 15, 1858