The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Daily News (Kingston, ON), Aug. 14, 1862

Full Text



The Cobourg Annual Regatta for 1862 commenced on Thursday morning last. The day was most propitious, the wind being from the south-east by south. The wind was light in the early part of the day, but after noon a strong breeze sprung up, and continued throughout the remainder of the day. The yachts were started at 10 1/2 o'clock a.m., but the wind being at the time rather light, their progress at the beginning of the race was rather slow. As the breeze freshened, however, the race became more exciting. The course embraces a distance of between 25 and 30 miles.

The following are the names of the yachts entered, and which started for the first day's race, viz.: - 1st class - Gorilla, 27 tons, formerly the George Steers, R.W. Standly, Cobourg; Rivet, 15 tons, E. Blake, Toronto; Dart, 14 1/2 tons, J.J. Robertson, Toronto; Look Out, formerly the John A. Macdonald, 20 1/2 tons, A. Cuthbert, Cobourg; Sea Gull, 16 1/2 tons, W. Mingaye, Hamilton; Star, 17 1/2 tons, E. Zealand, Hamilton; Breeze, 16 1/2 tons, E.M. Hodder, Toronto; Irene, 14 1/2 tons, Mr. Lascelles, Hamilton. The yachts entered for the second class purse was the Wide Awake, 7 1/2 tons, Charles Elliot, Cobourg; Bay Queen, 9 1/2 tons, W. La Chapelle, Kingston; Undine, 10 tons, Captain Schofield, Rochester; Kitten, 8 1/2 tons, entered by John Philp, Cobourg; Fairy, 4 tons, W. Mingaye, Hamilton; Glance, 10 tons, G. Hawk, Toronto; Expert, 10 tons, W. Delany, Cobourg. The open boats were the Julia, Mr. Brown, Port Hope; Irene, M. Conley, Cobourg; Shamrock, J. Fitzgerald, Cobourg; Nuff Said, J. McMahon, Cobourg. One minute time allowed for tonnage.

The Gorilla sprang her masthead, the Look Out had her bob-stay and part of her stern carried away, the Kitten broke her jib-boom, the Bay Queen sprung a leak and had to return, and the Expert had to return, when the breeze freshened, short of hands. The race resulted in the Gorilla winning the first prize, the Wide Awake the second, and the Irene the open boat prize. The yachts passed the winning buoy in the evening in the following order:

First Class - Gorilla - 4.05; Look Out - 4.13; Dart - 4.16:30; Rivet - 4.19:45.

Second Class - Wide Awake - 4.05:15; Glance - 4.21:30; Bay Queen - 4.21:40.

The second day (Friday) was equally as favorable as the first, the wind being south-west. On this day but one prize was offered - a sweepstakes, $2 entrance, with $50 added. The Look Out, Rivet, Dart, Kitten, Glance, and Expert were entered for this race, and started at 11 o'clock. This day's racing was very exciting, and resulted in the Look Out winning the prize. The wind having died away in the afternoon, the other boats returned to the harbor, after having sailed a little more than half the course. Another race takes place today, open to boats with standing keel only.

On both days there were several thousand spectators, who seemed to take an interest in and enjoy the day's sporting. The steamer Maple Leaf made excursion trips over the course during the first day. [Cobourg Sentinel]

We understand the Grand Trunk Company have succeeded in disposing of the steamer Michigan, formerly used as a ferry boat at Point Edward. Mr. Muir, Manager of the Detroit and Milwaukie Railroad, and Captain Pidgeon, of Detroit, are the purchasers. We have not heard the terms, but it is not at all likely the company received more than one fourth of the sum they have spent upon her. She has been engaged in towing this season, and it is believed her new proprietors will still keep her in the same business, for which she is said to be admirably adapted. [Sarnia Observer]

Riot In Buffalo - Irish and German stevedores demanding more pay for working on docks.

Some little disturbance was created at one of the wharves yesterday. The schooner Black Hawk had a cargo of coals consigned to W.P. Phillips, which was engaged to be unloaded for $30 by some laborers. Another party interfered and prevented the contractors doing their work. A second contract was made for $35, but with no better result, for a party of men went on board the vessel and intimidated the laborers so that they were obliged to cease their work for a time. The police were called in, who arrested two of the leaders of the gang and locked them up. One of them is named Corrigan. The charge will be investigated today. The arrest of the two men put an end to the trouble.

p.3 Imports - 12,13.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Aug. 14, 1862
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Daily News (Kingston, ON), Aug. 14, 1862