Daily News (Kingston, ON), Feb. 25, 1864
- Full Text
p.2 Anderson & Ford's Old Wharf - The wharf at the foot of Johnson street, long known as Bowen's wharf, and more recently as Anderson & Ford's, will probably assume its old designation in the coming summer. This property, including the storehouses, has recently been purchased from the Bank of British North America for $12,000, Captain Bowen being largely concerned in the speculation. The wharf is now being widened some twelve feet, and otherwise to be put in complete repair. It is to be the new stopping place of the steamers of the Royal Mail Through Line, which formerly landed at and sailed from the foot of Princess street. The passengers by these boats will now have the advantage of being landed alongside the city Grand Trunk depot. Another advantage is the central position of the wharf for all general purposes of trade and commerce.
Anderson & Ford's New Wharf - Messrs. Anderson and Ford have rented and will remove to Kinghorn's wharf, which will be the new stopping place for the boats of the American line for which they will continue to be agents. Mr. Kinghorn will remain in his present quarters, but will leave the control of the wharf in the hands of the new lessees. The wharf is being completely rebuilt, and thoroughly overhauled, and is to be raised two or three feet. The repairs have been contracted for by Mr. Overend, who has a large number of men employed and a large stock of timber and planking in for that purpose. It is said to be the intention to have the old wharf between Kinghorn's and Cowan's rebuilt during the ensuing summer. The Cape and Wolfe Island Ferry boats will call and leave this wharf as usual
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Date of Original:
- Feb. 25, 1864
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Rick Neilson
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes