p.2 The Industry of Kingston - (part) - Brokenshire pumps - The manufacture of marine pumps has been carried on for the past few years by Mr. J. Brokenshire, the patentee of the "Atlantic ship and well pumps." The pumps are separately made of iron and wood, both on the one patented principle, the iron work being done chiefly at Messrs. Davidson and Doran's foundry. The pump was patented in 1860 in Canada, and in England in 1861, and is described as a double piston bore, with two pistons, causing a double suction in the same pump, and combination of three valves, so that one piston has no control over the other while the double valves are in order. These pumps have been fully tested, approved of, and afterwards purchased at Oswego, Buffalo, Cleveland and other American lake ports, as well as generally in Canada, but chiefly in Lower Canada, large numbers going to Montreal and Quebec, to which places a supply is now being sent to purchasers who have specially ordered them. All the vessels built by Mr. E. Berry at Portsmouth have been, and all the vessels now building are to be supplied with the iron pumps, and many others have been put into vessels leaving the port. So that in course of time the manufacture of these pumps will form an important branch of the industry of the place. The same pump has also been applied with success to rather a novel purpose - that of pumping cargoes of grain from sunken vessels, which service it is said to be well adapted to perform. The pump is now largely made in Liverpool. Messrs. Davidson and Doran are making for the patentee on the patented principle a large iron steam pump, ordered by Davy and Co., shipbuilders at Point Levi, opposite Quebec.
-The ship Narborough will leave for Quebec this evening, commanded by Captain Wright, late of the steamship Great Eastern.