The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Daily News (Kingston, ON), Oct. 30, 1866

Full Text

p.2 Port Colborne, Oct. 29th - Yesterday evening the schooner Hattie, owned by Mr. Cafferty of Welland, in tow of the tug Robb, with five other scows from Buffalo to Port Maitland, broke loose from the tow, and drifted ashore about four miles west of this place. She was light. No lives lost. It is doubtful if she can be got off.

Last night about 9 o'clock, as two sailors were proceeding to their vessel, the B.F. Davy, of Kingston, they by some means walked into the canal, and one, named Thos. McDonald of Chicago, was drowned. His body was recovered and buried here this forenoon.

Barge Sunk - The old barge Willie, which has been lashed to the outer timbers of the railway track for the past two days, went down to her decks last night during the heavy rain. She had been gradually sinking for a day or two.

Vessel Got Off - The steamer Bay of Quinte was nearly two hours late in getting in this afternoon, having been engaged in tugging off the schooner Langmure, which grounded, laden with wheat from Picton, between North Port and Mill Point.

More Military Stores - on str. Spartan.

Yacht Race - At about five minutes to eleven this morning the second race between the yachts John A. Macdonald and Belle commenced. The boats started from a buoy anchored off the Queen's Wharf. The John A. Macdonald stood well out, the Belle too near the wharf to get so soon under weigh as her opponent; so that the John A. Macdonald got a lead of over two minutes before the Belle had fairly started. The course was the same as on the occasion of the previous race. On rounding the buoy at George's barn, Wolfe Island, the John A. Macdonald was three minutes in advance, and on her return to the buoy at the starting point and at the beginning of the second round she was eight minutes ahead. By the time they had reached the buoy at Four Mile Point the Belle had lost another seven minutes, making fifteen in all; and on rounding the buoy at the Penitentiary, she was seventeen and a half minutes behind. It was almost a dead calm when the John A. Macdonald passed down the harbor, the Belle being a long way behind. As the latter reached the Marine Railway a stiff breeze sprang up which shortened the time between them to exactly twelve minutes. The Belle reports that something was wrong with her shoe, and that she was in a great measure unmanageable. It was about fifteen minutes past three when the race was over.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Oct. 30, 1866
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Daily News (Kingston, ON), Oct. 30, 1866