The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Daily News (Kingston, ON), Sept. 28, 1867

Full Text


The unfortunate close of the Regatta yesterday, and the many mishaps which attended it, and prevented it being brought to a pleasant close, also led to the sudden breaking off of our report. The precise time made by the various classes in the first round was as follows. The yachts and open boats having at the hours named yesterday, and coming in as under.

1st Class - John A. Macdonald at 2h 1m 0s

Gorilla 2h 9m 1/4

Iron-clad (Rivet) 2h 10m 0s

Lady Macdonald 2h 15m 0s

2nd Class - Water Lily 2h 24m 40s

Lennox 2h 30m 40s

3rd & 4th Classes

Pride of the Wave 3h 34m 20s

Electrick 3h 37m 20s

Confederation 3h 45m 0s

Game Cock 3h 46m 50s

The result of the second round has already been stated, having led to several protests being entered.

The pleasure skiff race, the decision on which was reserved by the judges on account of the Adelaide, Mr. Currie, having gone round the wrong side of the buoy, was since decided to have been won by the Sarah Jane, Mr. Hutton, which came in two minutes ahead of the Adelaide. No protest was entered in this case.

Mr. Allen's boat was not broken in two, as reported, but the open space in the centre filled with water owing to the keelson having split open for about ten feet along the side, which compelled him to leave his boat for safety. He was picked up by Bugle-Major Burns, while clinging to a skiff.

Another mishap occurred between two of the third and fourth class boats which was not put on record. The Minnie Fisher having wrongly put down her helm near the shoal tower, shortly after starting, accidentally ran the bowsprit through the sail of the Blue Eyed Maid, carrying away her own jib. Both boats were ruled out by the judges, although the accident lay purely with the Minnie Fisher, we believe, and is not denied by her owner.

The Committee of Management had a meeting in the evening, and after hearing all the evidence which was forthcoming, owing to the protests which had been entered, and other causes, decided that the first class race was to be re-sailed, and that the second class race was not to be re-sailed.

The Judges report as follows in the several classes which sailed yesterday. The figures show the time at which the boats came in at the close.

1st Class

John A. Macdonald not in

Lady Macdonald 5h 0m 5s

Gorilla run into

Iron Clad 4h 31m 0s

2nd Class

Lady Macdonald 5h 0m 5s

Alexander 5h 13m 15s

Water Lily sunk

3rd Class

Blue-eyed Maid not in

Dominion saved crew

Minnie Fisher fouled

Game Cock 3h 54m 15s

Pride of the Wave 3h 42m 30s

4th Class

Electrick 3h 45m 0s

Canadian Life filled

Blue-eyed Maid fouled

Dominion saved life

Minnie Fisher fouled

Game Cock 3h 54m 30s

Pride of the Wave 3h 42m 30s

Confederation 3h 52m 34s

The consequence of the decision of the committee given last evening was that the hour for starting was fixed for half-past 11 this (Saturday) morning, when it was understood that the John A. Macdonald, Rivet, and Lady Macdonald would start to re-contest the race. After waiting until half-past 12, at which time the arrangements were not completed by the proper committee, owing to some unexplained or probably unavoidable cause, Mr. Harty withdrew the John A. Macdonald, and took her into her dock, leaving only two boats to run, the Lady Macdonald being the only one at the anchorage, as it was ascertained that the Rivet was not going out. At 1 o'clock the Lady Macdonald started for the first prize of $150, and was permitted to walk the course.

In the third and fourth classes the only boats at the anchorage were the Pride of the Wave and Dominion, both of which started at the same time as the Lady Macdonald.

The Pride of the Wave came in about 4 o'clock, the Dominion having retired from the contest. The former boat is therefore the winner in the third and fourth classes.

About eighteen minutes afterwards the Lady Macdonald rounded the buoy, and started on her second round. She will be in again about 8 this evening, and will be declared the winner for the first class.

The day was just such another as Friday, with a high breeze and a bright sun. The propriety of having the Regatta to come off on the last day of the Fair seems very doubtful, as the attendence was very poor on both days.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Sept. 28, 1867
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Daily News (Kingston, ON), Sept. 28, 1867