p.2 The Rochester - This steamer arrived from Oswego at ten o'clock last night. Upon her arrival she was seized at the suit of Mr. Daintry, her former owner, and precautions were taken to prevent her being rescued by the crew, which was feared might be attempted. She left for Cobourg this evening in charge of Captain Greenwood, where she will remain until the difficulties connected with her are settled. Her cargo for Belleville remains here for transhipment.
The Royal Mail Through Line - Owing to the rapid rise of the water of the St. Lawrence the steamers of the above line will immediately commence running all the rapids. Thus passengers leaving here at half-past five o'clock each morning will arrive at Montreal the same evening.
-The steamer Bay of Quinte arrived this afternoon, none the worse for having been ashore at Trenton. She continues her trips as before.
MR PERRY'S DIARY - A MELANCHOLY RECORD
Last fall Mr. E. Perry, brother of Mr. Alfred Perry, of Montreal, was left behind on one of the islands of Lake Superior, to attend to the light-house upon it. The supply of provisions left with him was small, and the steamer was to return, but could not do so on account of winter settling in with severity. Capt. Charles Perry went up this spring to ascertain his fate and found his remains.
The following is a portion of the diary kept by the unfortunate man.
Oct. 31st, 1867 - The steamer Algoma arrived this morning. The captain says he does not think they will make another trip, and wants me to leave now. This I cannot do. I shall remain. Indians have left me by the steamer. I am all alone.
Nov. 1st - In the night was taken sick with diarrhoea. Cannot account for it in any way. Luckily had some cholera medicine, which afforded me some relief. The day very fine. No frost.
Nov. 2nd - Wind very high. Can see Indians off the beach. Too rough to get their nets. Employing myself in packing some fish and putting things right for winter. In the afternoon Pitchard arrived with sloop.
Sunday, 3rd - Wind eastward. Weather mild.
Monday, 4th - In the night it rained, turned to snow. In the morning the ground covered. Wind blowing from north very strong. No fishing.
Tuesday, 5th - Still blowing strongly. Snow on the ground. No fishing.
Wednesday, 6th - Ground frozen. Weather clear. Pitchard left for Indian fishing ground and Fort William.
Thursday, 7th - In the night heavy gale from the south. Snow all gone. Weather mild.
Friday, 8th - The gale from the south still continues. Never saw it more violent. Caught no fish yet.
Saturday, 9th - Wind shifted to the northwest, and blowing a gale. Cannot move.
Sunday, 10th - Wind blowing from the west. Snowing.
Monday, 11th - Weather cold. Ground barely covered with snow.
Tuesday, 12th - Weather very cold, but calm. Wind east. Some Indians below to catch fish.
Wednesday, 13th - Wind blowing from east. I am cold.
Thursday, 14th - Wind north-west, blowing a gale. Very cold. I hope the steamer will soon come.
Friday, 15th - Snowing. Caught fine fish.
Saturday, 16th - Freezing very hard; the ground covered with snow. All packed up ready for steamer. No sign of her yet.
Sunday, 17th - The weather continues very cold. The mountains in the distance appear deeply covered with snow. No sign of the Algoma. I wish she would come; the shanty is not very warm, and made no preparations for keeping very comfortable.
Monday, 18th - I am still alone; the Indians are gone to winter quarters. Very cold. If the steamer does not come soon I shall suffer, not having sufficient warm clothing. Last night had another attack of diarrhoea. The steamer was to leave Collingwood on the 11th; she is now eight days on the way. They will be anxious for me at home.
Tuesday, 19th - Nothing to do only to pick up wood to keep the house warm; last night froze the ink. Cleaned out the boat yesterday to haul out.
Wednesday, 20th - Still anxiously waiting the steamer and desirous of getting away. It cannot be they do not intend sending up here again. I am almost discouraged. I know they will be very anxious at home. Another year, if I am spared, I would not depend on any one for aid. Very fair today; sun clear and bright.
Thursday, 21st - Three long weeks today since the Algoma was here; wind blowing from the west or south-west; mild, snow melting. I am very anxious to get away. It would have been better if I had gone the last trip, sooner than have been left in this state. I can scarcely account for the steamer not coming. I am fretting about the ones at home; they will be wondering why they do hear from me.
Friday, 22nd - Snow nearly all gone. I am weary waiting for the Algoma. It cannot be that they would leave here all winter. I am in a great state about my family. I should suffer, but I try to occupy my time in reading and walking about.
Saturday, 23d - The weather keeps very mild. I never saw a better time for a steamer on the lake. The time must soon come for me to leave this place. I must try and reach Fort William, should they not send for me.
Sunday, 24th - The weather mild; snow all gone. No sight of any relief. The navigation must soon be done on the lake, and I cannot think of remaining here all winter.
Monday, 25th - Fine day, but cold. I have given up all hopes of the steamer, and intend putting things in order, and try to reach home by Fond du Lac.
Tuesday, 26th - No snow; wind north-east and cloudy. No sign of any relief. I am grieving for my family at home. The little one's wishful looks haunt me all day.
The above is only a portion of the sad record kept by Mr. Perry, of his anxiety and sufferings in his utter loneliness, and with the rigours of winter approaching. The remainder of the diary is withheld for the present, out of consideration to the feelings of the relatives of the deceased; but will, we believe, be ultimately given to the public.
-The ship and vessel owners of Buffalo have held a meeting on the shortage question. A regularly recognized weigh master is to be appointed, who is to receive 25 cents per 1,000 bushels for weighing. The elevators are to change their drafts to 250 bushels, and the shippers are to pay one half the shortage and the vessel owners the other - the first to be paid on shipping, and the second on arrival at port of destination. A record of the result of each vessel's cargo is to be kept - where loaded, who shipped to, elevator, etc. One half the charge for weighing is to be paid by vessel owners.
Arrivals - 30; Departures - 30.
p.3 ad - Kingston, Gananoque and Clayton Route - new schedule for steamer Pierrepont, C. Hinckley, Jr., Master.