The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Daily News (Kingston, ON), Nov. 23, 1868

Full Text

p.2 Laid Up - The following vessels are laid up for the season. The steamer Passport at Swift's wharf, arrived down on her last trip yesterday morning. The schooner Annandale at Carruther's wharf. This vessel is reported as one of the fastest of the Lake fleet, her best point being close to the wind. The Annie Falconer schooner, below Cataraqui Bridge. The schooners Princess Alexandria at the railway wharf, and Prince Alfred at the M.T. Company's wharf. The schooners Tecumseh of Goderich and Annie Craig of Port Hope, will winter in Portsmouth Bay.


The Toledo (Ohio) Blade says: A few days ago there was published under our marine head a report of the loss of the schooner Die Vernon, and the rescue of the crew by Captain Starke, of the bark Forest King, bound from this port to Buffalo. Captain Starke reported the accident immediately on his arrival in port. The facts having come to our knowledge, we deem it proper that Captain Starke should receive full credit for his brave and humane conduct. The Die Vernon foundered near Long Point, and her crew clung to her spars, and were in that condition when Captain Starke discovered them. Three vessels had passed, one of which had attempted to rescue the men, and losing a portion of her sails, resumed her voyage; the others did not deem it safe to attempt their release. As soon as Captain Starke descried the condition of the crew he resolved to save them. The wind was blowing fearfully, a heavy sea rolling, his bark was heavily laden with black walnut lumber, and those less brave than Captain Starke would have deemed these sufficient reason for leaving the Die Vernon's crew to find a watery grave. As the Forest King neared the wreck, Capt. Starke ordered both anchors let go, and into the troubled waters they went; the bark swung round and almost instantly was on her beam ends, but after struggling a few minutes with the angry waves, the noble vessel righted and gallantly withstood the fury of the elements. As soon as his vessel righted, and Capt. Starke was satisfied that his anchors had taken a firm hold, a boat was lowered, a long line attached to it, and then sent off on its errand of mercy. The effort was successful; after much hard labour the crew of the foundered vessel were transferred from their perilous condition at the masthead of their craft to the warm cabin of the Forest King, and when Capt. Starke had assured himself that all were saved, he weighed anchor and resumed his voyage, arriving at Buffalo that night.

The Beauharnois Canal - Information received today states the Beauharnois Canal as frozen, so that steam will be required to break it open. This is the second time of its freezing up this fall.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Nov. 23, 1868
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Daily News (Kingston, ON), Nov. 23, 1868