The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Daily News (Kingston, ON), Aug. 20, 1869

Full Text

p.2 Shipping News - Glassford, Jones & Co's wharf - The schr Wave Crest, from Toledo, with 12,000 bush wheat; the sch White Oak, with 12,100 bush wheat, from Cleveland; the bark Waterwitch, from Cleveland, with 14,300 bush wheat, and the sch Baltic, with 10,600 bush wheat from Cleveland, arrived yesterday. The barges Powerful, Waterloo and Mary arrived yesterday evening with 500 tons ore. The sch Victor sailed for Cleveland with 300 tons iron ore; the W.T. Greenwood also left for Cleveland with 201 tons iron ore. The barge Juno, with 10,500 bush wheat, and the barge America, with 12,100 bush wheat, left yesterday for Montreal.

Last night an unknown schooner struck the barge Mary on her trip up, and carried away the whole of her cabin.

The M.T. Company's wharf - The sch Mont Blanc arrived last night with 19,200 bush wheat from Chicago. The sch Norwegian arrived last night from Chicago with 17,000 bush wheat. The sch Tom Martin, from Toledo with 10,000 bush wheat, and the sch Emery, from Toledo with 12,000 bush wheat, arrived last evening, and the barges Royal Oak and Utility, light, arrived last night from Montreal.

Gurney & Glidden's wharf - The tug Francis, with four barges, arrived yesterday from the Rideau Canal with shingle timber. They left for Cape Vincent. The tug Elswood, with three barges, and the tug Swan, with four barges, also arrived from the Rideau Canal with timber and cordwood. The sch Pearl left this afternoon for Oswego with lumber. The steam barge Hemlock arrived last evening with cordwood. The Shamrock and Thistle, 400 tons iron ore, left for Chicago.

Swift & Co's wharf - The prop Acadia passed up yesterday. The sloop Greyhound arrived yesterday with coal from Oswego. The steam barge R. Anglin arrived yesterday from the Rideau Canal with 100 cords hardwood.

The prop City of London passed the port at midnight without touching.

J.H. Henderson & Co's wharf - The schs Union Jack, 13,600 bush wheat; Theo. Perry, 15,500 bush do.; Nett Woodword, 11,500 bush do.; and barque Sir E.W. Head, 14,600 bush do, arrived from Toledo last night, and are now unloading into barges for transhipment to Montreal. The sch Pioneer, with 6,100 bush wheat from Oshawa, arrived here this morning, and the sch A.W. Luckey, from Chicago with 21,000 bush wheat, arrived yesterday afternoon. The barges Falcon, Robin, and Star leave this evening in tow of the tug William with a united cargo of 51,000 bush wheat.

Garden Island - The arrivals since yesterday noon are: schrs Plough Boy, Toronto, staves; Gold Hunter, Wallaceburg, do; St. Andrew, Saugeen, timber; bark Canada, do., do. None cleared.


The regatta on Thursday in Kingston harbour proved a very attractive spectacle. The weather was remarkably fine, warm and enjoyable, though the lightness of the wind by lengthening the duration of the sailing races was somewhat against the expectations of those who would have preferred a stiff breeze to test the sailing qualities of the different boats.

On the evening of Wednesday the British American Hotel, where the entries were made, was a busy scene of sporting life, and one, very fortunately (sic), not often witnessed in Kingston, a large number of American and other visitors being present, and filling every available space of the building. Betting, auctioning the pools, arguing the relative merits of the different boats, and nautical slang and sporting talk was indulged in profusely, and evinced the more than common interest taken in the regatta.

From an early hour in the morning the harbour began to display a scene of activity by the movements of numerous skiffs, sailboats, yachts and steamers making preparations for the pleasures and contests of the day. The Commodore's barge, stationed near Cataraqui bridge, between the barracks and Fort Frederick, was gaily decorated with flags; the steamers Bay of Quinte and Watertown also made a holiday appearance by their display of bunting. As the time drew near for the starting of the first race the scene became more animated. The steamers, thronged with ladies and gentlemen, began to move out to their chosen positions for viewing the start and watching the cruise; the wharves became thronged at all prominent points, and the commencement of the sport was eagerly anticipated. The wind in the morning was too light for good sailing, but as the day advanced it freshened, and stood evenly at a good "whole sail" breeze during the rest of the day.

The executive committee went on board the barge, moored off the Queen's wharf, punctually, and a good deal of promptitude was displayed in the despatch of business by all parties having connection with the arrangements of the regatta. The barge was, as usual, marked with streamers, and the band of the Royal Canadian Rifles was stationed on board. Mr. F.C. Draper was commodore of the day, while Mr. R.T. Walkem officiated as vice-commodore.

The Sailing Races

The first race was for first class boats, open to all yachts ten tons and over; prize $100, with $50 added by the city corporation; entrance $15.

The following course was laid down:- To start from moorings opposite to the Queen's wharf, to buoy at George's barn, thence through the Batteau Channel (leaving Garden Island on the Port hand), round Simcoe Island to a buoy off Herchmer's Point, thence to a buoy off the Penitentiary, to the winning buoy at the Queen's wharf - and repeat.

Four entries were made for this race: The Ida, by Mr. George Edie, of Lachine; the Surprise, by Mr. Davies, of Lachine; the Mosquito, by Mr. E. Copeland, of Lachine; and the Vanguard by Capt. Dugmore of Kingston. The latter boat is better known as the John A. Macdonald, a name which it formerly bore. At the time for starting only two boats, the Ida and the Vanguard, made their appearance, and as the specified regulation was that there must be three bona fide entries to make a race, this chief prize of the regatta had to go uncontested. As the two boats were in position and ready for the start it was agreed that they should test their sailing qualities by a trip once round the course, without any reference to the prize. The Ida, to the surprise of many, was the winning boat, and was managed throughout in very capital style. The breeze was hardly sufficient to bring out the best traits of the Vanguard. There were large bets on this race, but of course they are all off, as there was no real race.

Second Class - Open to all boats of 27 feet keel and under; prize $75; entrance $7.50. The following boats were entered and all ran: The Fanny Ferguson, George Charlton, Ogdensburg; the St. Elmo, W.H. Inman, Cape Vincent; the Go Softly, A.P. Phillips, Ogdensburg; the Unknown, Mills & Lyman; and the Surprise, taken out of the first class. This was a very pretty race and closely contested throughout. The start was a capital one, and at the winning buoy the boats arrived back very evenly in the following order and time. The boats started promptly at half-past ten o'clock.

Go Softly, 4h. 31m.

Surprise, 4h. 35 m.

St. Elmo, 4h. 35 1/2m.

F. Ferguson, 4h. 36m.

Unknown, 4h. 36 1/2m.

The Unknown protested against a foul by the Surprise at the start, but we understand that the protest was subsequently withdrawn.

Third Class - Open to all Boats of 21 feet keel and under; prize $50; entrance $5. The following boats entered, and all of them were present at the start at eleven o'clock:-The Crazy Jane, S.V. Collins, Cape Vincent; the Qui Vive, J.S. Kirkpatrick, Kingston; the Nettie, B. Minor, Cape Vincent; the Island Maid, Wm. Smithers, Wolfe Island; the A. Ramsay, Gananoque; and the Hard Tack, E.G. Wilson, Kingston. The start was even and without the slightest baulk. The A. Ramsay and Hard Tack, however, soon drew away from the others and established a lead which they maintained throughout the race. The following is the record of the time, although it should be mentioned that the breeze was rather variable throughout the race:

First Round Winning Buoy

A. Ramsay 1:41 4:33

Hard Tack 1:43 4:30

Crazy Jane 1:40 4:32


Qui Vive

The A. Ramsay was declared victor after a closely contested race, which was none the less so from the confidence reposed in the Hard Tack, which was the favourite boat and upon which a good deal of money was staked. We heard offers of four to one given and accepted upon this boat.

Fourth Class - Open to all skiffs of 18 feet keel and under, prize $25; entrance $2:50.

The following boats were entered and ran. The Eclipse, A. McCorkill, Kingston; the Arrow, T. Robertson, Kingston; and the Eclectic, James Adams, Kingston.

The race was won by the Arrow, which was sailed by Mr. Makins, time 2h. 39m. The Eclectic coming in second at 2h. 43m.

The rowing matches excited a good deal of interest, and many persons considered them the best part of the day's programme. The races were all well contested, and the style of rowing was far better than was looked for. The single scull match was won by the Emma, a Toronto boat, which also won the double scull race.

The four oared race was won by the Emma. Lewis Tisdale, of Barriefield, won the boy's prize, and the sculling race was won by the Pearl. The winners in the soldier's race were: 1st - Hawk; 2nd - Artillery boat; 3rd - Kilby Clyde; 4th - Lady Walkem. The races terminated at about half-past five o'clock, and all connected with them adjourned to the British American Hotel, where a capital spread was provided by Capt. Swales, and was done justice to by a large number of persons.

Bearing in mind the haste with which the regatta was planned and got up, it can fairly lay claim to having been a very successful affair, and the Commodore, Draper, Vice-Commodore, Walkem, Mr. Hayter Reed, and in fact all concerned in the executive department deserve public thanks for the very excellent style in which they provided the citizens of Kingston with a good day's sport.

We have not heard of a casualty or disagreeable occurrence of any kind to mar the pleasure of the day.

The Garry Owen - Another survey of this vessel on behalf of the underwriters, the Montreal Insurance Company, was made on Monday last. A diver was brought from Detroit to examine the vessel where she now lies off Ashtabula, Lake Erie. She was found to lie in about 70 feet of water, and the diver in examining her found the port-hole on her starboard side out, with the coal removed from the hull at that part of the vessel. It is his opinion that the port-hole was opened by someone intentionally, and the vessel thus scuttled. The vessel and cargo were insured in the Montreal Company for $5,000. It is supposed that further proceedings will be taken to discover the perpetrators of the act. [Globe]

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Aug. 20, 1869
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Daily News (Kingston, ON), Aug. 20, 1869