The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Daily News (Kingston, ON), Sept. 24, 1869

Full Text

p.2 Shipping News - The M.T. Company's wharf - The schr Flying Cloud arrived this morning from Port Dalhousie with 7,500 bush wheat.

Swift & Co's wharf - The steamer Osprey passed down last night, touching. The steamer Mary Ann left this morning for Ottawa, having in tow a barge laden with general cargo. The schr Pearl arrived this morning from the Bay of Quinte for balance of cargo of barley for Oswego.

J.H. Henderson & Co's wharf - The Wave Crest arrived this morning from Cleveland with 12,005 bush wheat. The schr Northumberland left last night for Chicago with 380 tons pig iron. The schr Jane C. Woodruffe will leave this evening for Chicago with 420 tons pig iron. The barges Falcon and Tiger left today for Montreal with combined cargoes of 34,000 bush wheat. The barges Lark and Tweed arrived this morning from Montreal with 600 tons pig iron. The latter is unloading into the schr Ontario for Hamilton.

The schr Jessie was launched from the ways at the shipyard at one o'clock this morning.

Theft On Board The Steamer Kingston - Yesterday a gold watch and chain valued at $150, was stolen from the state room of Capt. Farrell of the steamer Kingston on her trip up. It was first missed at Dickinson's Landing.

Yacht Race - The match between the Qui Vive and Arrow came off today, starting from O'Gorman's wharf precisely at noon. The course selected was from the wharf down the harbour, round Cedar and Garden Islands back to start, and repeat. Mr. Robert Makins sailed the Qui Vive and Mr. Smithers the Arrow. A fine fresh breeze from the southwest prevailed, and nothing was wanting to test the relative merits of the boats. At the start there was some little difficulty in the boats fairly getting their positions, but when effected they were nearly even. As soon as the Qui Vive came to wind she slightly took the lead, but when she fairly felt the force of the breeze she drew rapidly ahead, widening the gap between her and her antagonist; and it appeared likely that the Arrow would see her stern throughout the race. From some defect in the Arrow's gaff-topsail, she took it in shortly after leaving the wharf. The race continued in the order of starting, the Qui Vive gradually widening the distance between herself and antagonist, and at the starting buoy on the first time round she was seven minutes ahead, and it was very apparent that her rival had not the ghost of a chance. In coming out after rounding Cedar Island on the second course the Qui Vive was nearly sixteen minutes ahead, and her antagonist's chance of winning was becoming smaller and miserably less. At half-past three o'clock p.m. the Qui Vive arrived at the winning buoy amid the cheers of her friends "for old Lanty." The Arrow gave up the race, and did not go round Garden Island, and when she arrived the sails of her antagonist were neatly stowed, and her crew were cooly partaking of some refreshments. Mr. James Wilson acted as judge. The stakes were $50. We sincerely hope in this very fair race there will be for once no wrangling or nonsense about a "protest."

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Sept. 24, 1869
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Daily News (Kingston, ON), Sept. 24, 1869