Daily News (Kingston, ON), Dec. 12, 1870
- Full Text
p.2 New Machine Shop - Another addition to "The Industries of Kingston" is a new machine shop, now in course of completion, in the large wooden building situated on King street, and formerly used by the skating club as a rink. Mr. C.F. Gildersleeve having recently purchased the property, has furnished it with the necessary machinery from Montreal for the repair of the steamers owned by him, plying on the lakes, and also for the fitting up of the engine of the new steamer, to be built here during the present winter for the town of Belleville.
p.4 Captain Malcomson writes to the Spectator that Canadian vessels trading to ports on Lake Michigan are put to a great deal of inconvenience by being compelled to report at Duncan City on westward voyages. As they must again report at their port of destination, he contends that no good is done, while vessels are detained a good wind is sometimes lost, and the whole thing is an annoyance. He thinks it is only done to hinder and restrict Canadian commerce.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Date of Original:
- Dec. 12, 1870
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Rick Neilson
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes