The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Daily News (Kingston, ON), May 29, 1871

Full Text

p.1 - The Canadian steamer Chicora, of the Collingwood and Duluth Line, is not permitted by the United States authorities to land merchandise at Duluth, the United States having failed to make the latter place a port of entry. The only port of entry on Lake Superior is Marquette, where all goods for Duluth must be entered.

-The fishery season may now be said to have commenced in earnest. Our fishermen at the several fishing grounds on the river and lake shore are kept pretty busy all night and during a good portion of the day time in catching and disposing of the results of their night's toil. The season has opened very favorably, at least inasmuch as the quantity of fish is concerned; but the price is unusually low, so far two cents a pound being all that is paid for pickerel, delivered on the wharf at Port Huron. The bulk of the whitefish, trout and herrings, which are caught at this season of the year find a market in the interior of Ontario, along the lines of the Grand Trunk and Great Western Railways, at rather better prices than is realized for the fish sent to the United States markets. [Sarnia Observer]

p.2 Shipping News - The barge Tiger arrived yesterday at Messrs. J.H. Henderson's wharf with 85 tons of railway iron.

At Swift's wharf - The steamers Corsican, Passport and propeller Bruno passed up yesterday, and the Huron this morning. The Kingston and Osprey passed down yesterday.

At Gurney and Glidden's - The steam barges Kitty Friel and Water Lily, with barges, left on Saturday night. The schr Dutchman is loading cordwood for Toronto.

The Corsican - The steamer Corsican was got off on Saturday evening, having sustained no injury. She passed up on her regular trip the same evening.

At the M.T. Company's wharf - The following arrived since Saturday's report:- From Chicago, the Senator, with 20,000 bushels of wheat; the Flying Mist, with 20,308 bushels, and the Stampede, with 26,249 bushels, and the Kate Hinchman, from Milwaukee, with 13,500 bushels of wheat. The steamer Watertown arrived yesterday with eight barges, and the tug Glide with five this morning, with 100 tons of pig iron, and the remaining portion of Mr. G.M. Kinghorn's new steamer. The wharf of the M.T. Company presents a lively scene today, all the elevators of the port being at work there unloading grain into the company's barges.

The Schooner Flying Mist - This vessel arrived in port on Saturday night and sustained no damage by having gone ashore.

Wellington, May 27th - Yesterday morning, in a heavy fog on Lake Ontario, two large upper lake vessels came ashore. The one on the strand, at the south of Wellington, was loaded with 20,003 bushels of wheat from Chicago, and is the Flying Mist. She is consigned for Folger Bros., Kingston, and is owned by J. Cook of the former place. She lay there with very little damage for about eighteen hours. The tug Wellington, from Kingston, hauled her off with slight difficulty. The second vessel is the bark Acorn, owned in Port Dalhousie by the Messrs. Muir. She sailed from Saginaw loaded with timber consigned to Kingston, and went ashore at a point called West Point. She has laid there ever since with no real damage.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
May 29, 1871
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Daily News (Kingston, ON), May 29, 1871