The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Daily News (Kingston, ON), June 2, 1871


Description
Full Text

p.1 THE LOUNGER ALONG THE WHARVES AND IN THE WORKSHOPS

A stroll along the wharves and the business portions of the city demonstrates that at the present season there is fully the usual amount of business activity of past years, and indeed it has been found upon inquiry that the business requirements of some establishments have necessitated the employment of an increased number of workmen over those employed, at least, for the past two years. This is certainly plain evidence of increasing prosperity, which in view of the past loud and continued complaints of dullness and business activity, cannot but be cheering as indicative of the commencement of the return to Kingston of the prosperity of former times. This morning we strolled into the

Foundry of Messrs. Davidson And Doran

The deafening noise of hammers, the thud and whirl of machinery, and the presence of large numbers of soot-begrimed workmen gave unmistakable evidence that this old and well-known establishment was carrying on a large and thriving business. We found upon inquiry that about sixty workmen were employed in the various branches of the business, comprising pattern makers, finishers, moulders, blacksmiths and boiler makers, and it was easy to see that every department of the business was carried on with the system and correct arrangements so necessary in establishments of the kind, and for which Messrs. Davidson and Doran are noted. A particular description of each branch of the business would occupy more space than we can afford, and viewing the establishment as one of the instances of the industry of Kingston, we can barely refer to some of the principal work turned out of the foundry during the past year, being unable to detail the whole of the enormous amount of work done. Among the work just completed is a 90 horse power engine and boiler for the new tug Wren, of the forwarding establishment of Messrs. J.H. Henderson & Co., grain forwarders, and a new engine for Mr. J. Chaffey, for the steamer Eleanor, and a boiler for the tug Watchman. The firm has furnished the steam saw mill of Mr. McRossie with a new steam engine, and the extensive repairs to the machinery of the mail line steamboats are also done by it besides a large amount of other machinery. A particular branch of the business of Messrs. Davidson and Doran, and for which they are famous, is the manufacture of screw wheels for propellers, and one of these put into the St. Lawrence this spring has given so much satisfaction that her owners and the captain of the vessel are loud in its praises. The establishment, among other work, is at present engaged in the manufacture of a new and powerful engine for Mr. Kinghorn's new composite steamer which is to supersede the old steamer Pierrepont, which has been discarded, and which is being dismantled of her machinery at this establishment. A few years since a fine new wharf was built in rear of the company's premises, which is kept in most excellent condition, and offers to vessels every facility of approach, and its situation makes it one of the most elegible in the port.

Mr. M'Corkell's Boat Yard

On the premises at the extreme west end of Ontario street the eye of the lounger is attracted by a large number of finely modelled boats at anchor on the water and on the grounds adjacent, known as the Old Brewery property. Mr. McCorkell moved to the premises which he at present occupies about a year ago, and his business appears to be rapidly increasing. His stock of boats comprises about forty of every description, from the handsome highly finished pleasure skiff to the common fishing punt, and vary in size from twelve to forty feet in length with proportionate beam. The pleasure skiffs alluded to are very handsome specimens of boat architecture, and many of them built of white or red cedar, or of black or grey walnut, highly polished or varnished, are extremely beautiful. The stem and stern pieces and the knees are what is known as natural crooks, that is suitable pieces sawed out of the curved portion of the roots of these trees, or the lower portion of the trunk with a portion of the root. These when polished present a beautifully mottled appearance from the knotty nature of the material. These boats are all copper fastened, and every care is taken to render them strong and serviceable. Sometimes the sides of the boats are alternated with red and white cedar, which is much admired by many persons. The white pine boats, too, are considered to be of very durable quality, and when varnished, present the beautiful appearance peculiar to satin wood. Mr. McCorkell finds constant employment for six men and several boys, and he is enabled to complete work entrusted to him in a very short period of time. He has just completed a large serviceable jolly boat for the use of the occupants of the Tete du Pont Barracks, which was completed in eight days. An inspection of these boats is time well spent and cannot fail to elicit admiration.

p.2 Shipping News - At J.H. Henderson's wharf the schooner David Sharp, from Port Ryers, with 7,000 bushels of wheat, arrived yesterday afternoon, and the schooner Agnes Hope, from Milwaukee with 14,450 bushels this morning.

At Swift's wharf - The steamer Dromedary arrived from Milwaukee this morning and lightened 500 barrels of flour. The steamers City of London and Kingston passed up, and the propeller Mary Ward and Picton down yesterday evening. The steamer Spartan passed down this morning.

Cleared - The schooner Senator, light, for Oswego; the schooner Belle Walbridge, for Toledo, light, and the George W. Holt, for Cleveland, with 240 tons of iron ore.

Port Colborne - Numerous are the complaints of captains of vessels of the unnecessary delay experienced by them on the Welland Canal. This season particularly it would seem that the action of those in charge of the Canal in causing this delay is contrary to all established rule, and entirely unjustifiable. Not unfrequently are vessels delayed for six or eight days on the passage, and were it a private company instead of a government which permitted such conduct on the part of its officials, there is no doubt but some interesting claims for demurrage would be presented by outraged vessel owners.

At Gurney and Glidden's - The steam barge Waterlilly and barge arrived from the Rideau this morning with railway ties, shingles and posts, and left again for Cape Vincent.

At the M.T. Company's wharf - The schooner Holly arrived from Milwaukee with 13,500 bush of wheat. The tug Glide will leave this evening with six barges, containing 70,000 bush of wheat.

On the Shoal - The schooner Montauk grounded on the shoal at Point Frederick in precisely the same place and in the same manner as the Harvest Queen. The elevator is alongside unloading her. It is very nearly time that the city corporation took the proper precautions to render the harbour safe for vessels.

It is reported that the steamer Huron was burnt today to the water's edge near Dickinson's Landing, and that the barge Annie was sunk near the same place.

It is reported that the tug Wren is ashore somewhere near Cornwall.

p.3 Lighthouse Service - Tenders for lighthouses at Salmon Point, P.E. County, Lake Ontario; Middle Island, Essex County, Lake Erie; Porphyry Point, Lake Superior; Michipicoten Island, Lake Superior; Small Island near Michipicoten Island Harbour.


Media Type:
Text
Newspaper
Item Type:
Clippings
Date of Original:
June 2, 1871
Local identifier:
KN.20851
Language of Item:
English
Donor:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Contact
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Email
WWW address
Comment on this item
Groups of Related Records
Kingston Newspaper clippings
Other Web sites/External links
Kingston News, 2 June 1871 Kingston News, 2 June 1871
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Daily News (Kingston, ON), June 2, 1871