p.2 Cobourg, Oct. 5th - In the race yesterday the Ina could not find the eastern buoy, and came back. The Gorilla went round the course and yesterday's race was decided in her favour.
Yachting - Ina and Gorilla - Cobourg, Oct. 4th - The first of the three days' racing between the yachts Ina, of Toronto, and the Gorilla, of Cobourg, came off today. The boats started with a good breeze, and at one period of the race both appeared to stand an equal chance of winning the $100 to be competed for. In the first of the three days' racing the Ina did not round the buoy moored off Grafton, her crew not being able to discern it, the probability being that it was submerged. The Gorilla's crew claim that they rounded the buoy, and the result of the race remains at present in abeyance. The course sailed was the same as the one over which the Gorilla and Ina sailed last year.
WOLFE ISLAND FERRY
At a Meeting of the Council of the Township of Wolfe Island, held on the 2nd Oct., instant, the following Resolutions were unanimously adopted, viz.:-
1st - Moved by Mr. Watts, seconded by Mr. Baker, and resolved that in the belief of this Council, the Ferry Steamer Gazelle, now plying between Kingston and Wolfe Island, is unseaworthy; and not in accordance with the requirements of law, and the terms of the lease under which said ferry is held.
2nd - Moved by Mr. Baker, seconded by Mr. Irvine, and resolved that in the opinion of this Council, the Government Inspector is censurable, for allowing said boat to run without the Inspection rendered imperative by law having been made.
3rd - Moved by Mr. Irvine, seconded by Mr. Watts, and resolved that in the event of the Lesee of said ferry, not immediately placing on the route a boat suitable to the requirements of the people; this Council do memorialize the Government for a special investigation.
4th - Moved by Mr. Irvine, seconded by Mr. Baker, and resolved that a copy of these resolutions be sent for insertion to the Kingston papers.
Dear Sir, - In reference to the foregoing resolutions, we beg to state that, for several months past, the feeling has seized upon the public mind, that the steamer Gazelle, now plying between Kingston and Wolfe Island unseaworthy, and, so much has this feeling gained ground, that many in the township now refuse to cross in said boat.
We have borne with this state of things through a mistaken sympathy for the Lesee, and in hope that the oft-repeated promise of Messrs. Kinghorn and Hinckley, that in the fall months the Gazelle would be substituted by a boat at least safe, if not comfortable, would be fulfilled. We now realize how futile were our hopes. It was distinctly understood that upon the new steamer Pierrepont being launched, she would immediately be put on the route. We are now told she is too expensive, or in other words too good for the Wolfe Island Ferry, and specially adapted for securing that monopoly which Messrs. K. and H. have long sought, namely the Gananoque and Howe Island Route.
To obviate another "Westfield" catastrophe, the Council find themselves compelled to take such steps as will remedy the evil, and would ask the moral support of the people of Kingston, whose interest in this case is identified with the people of the Island.
T. Dawson, Reeve.
John Irvine, Deputy Reeve.
John Baker, Samuel Watts, Councilors.
Wolfe Island, Oct. 5th, 1871