The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Daily News (Kingston, ON), July 22, 1873


Description
Full Text

p.3 Customs Imports - 19th - Schr. H. Bunler, Hamilton, Calvin & Breck, 4,892 pipe staves, 32,856 West India staves.

Schr. Albatross, Bay City, Calvin & Breck, 241 pcs. oak, 1 pc. ash.

Schr. Princess Alexandria, Bay City, Calvin & Breck, 11,066 pipe staves, 57,300 W. India staves.

Schr. James Norris, Toledo, Calvin & Breck, 220 pcs. oak.

20th - Str. Corinthian, Oswego, R.D. Smith, 2 crates fruit; R. Carson, 4 bbls. shoulders, 10 tubs lard.

Marine News

There was nothing at all in the harbour this morning - all the elevators being silent, and the ordinary busy appearance of the docks reduced to the utmost dullness.

James Swift & Co.'s wharf - The steamer Athenian passed up; strs. Picton and Magnet, and prop. Calabria passed down. The United States survey steamer Addie coaled here today. The barque Arabia was towed up to the Marine Railway to get a new foremast.

Holcomb & Stewart's wharf - The prop. Europe is to lighten 4,500 bush. of wheat this afternoon.

Skiff Jessie, of Lachine - Capt. Stevenson, with a party of gentlemen, arrived this day on a cruise to the Thousand Islands, to be present at the opening of the Thousand Island House on Thursday next.

Port Colborne, July 21st - Up: Schrs. Lyman Casey, Florence, Sarah Jane, Smith & Post, Cossack, steam barge B.P. Cross.

Down: Schrs. White Oak, Bay City, Kingston, staves; Wm. Sanderson, Chicago, Oswego, coal and barley; Montgomery, Bay City, Clayton, timber; Metta, Romney City, do., do.; M. Muir, Sabeawing, Kingston, timber; Geo. Thurston, Bay City, do., do.; props. Akron, Toledo, Ogdensburg, gen. cargo; Lowell, Milwaukee, do., do.; schrs. Lewis Wells, Toledo, Cape Vincent, corn; Albacore, Bay City, Kingston, timber; steam-barge Lincoln, Milwaukee, do., wheat; barge Lisgar, do., do.; props. Maine, Chicago, Ogdensburg, gen. cargo; schr. A. Maria, Chicago, St. Catharines, wheat; Canada, Bay City, Kingston, timber; Ontario, do., do., staves; Miami Belle, Toledo, Oswego, wheat; prop. Canada, Chicago, Montreal, gen. cargo; Dominion, Chicago, do., do.; schr. Emerald, Bay City, Kingston, timber; Masilla, do., Collinsby, do.; Almeda, Toledo, Ogdensburg, corn; Robert Gaskin, Bay City, Kingston, timber; M.A. Muir, Marine, Garden Island, timber; America, Port Huron, Clayton, timber; scow Evelin, Port Huron, Garden Island, staves.

Port of Toronto - This spacious anchorage is without doubt the best natural harbour on Lake Ontario. It is nearly circular, being formed by the main land on the north, and by a long, low, and narrow spit of sand, on the east, south, and southwest, called the peninsula or island; it extends in a south-westerly direction from the highlands in the township of Scarboro', and terminates in a point which suddenly turns to north opposite the old Garrison, thus is enclosed a beautiful basin, of about two and a half miles in diameter, capable of containing a great number of vessels. In running up the lake from the eastward at night, give the shore a good two mile berth when abreast of the Scarboro' heights, otherwise the light on Gibraltar Point will be imperceptible. Vessels running for shelter from an easterly gale should anchor on the west side of the Island, about one mile from shore where there is a good holding ground in six or seven fathoms of water, mud and clay bottom. A sandy shoal stretches into the lake for three-quarters of a mile in a south-west direction off Gibraltar Point, and is thence continued along the west side of the Island, extending north to the bar buoys which mark the channel into the bay, at an average distance of a quarter of a mile from the Island. The south west extremity of this island is called Gibraltar Point, on which is erected the lighthouse, 66 feet high, having a fixed bright light. Off Gibraltar Point lighthouse there is a black buoy, the lighthouse bears from it N. 3/4 E. The second is a black bell buoy with a white ball on the end; the lighthouse bears from it N.E.; it bears from the first buoy W. by N. 1/2 N. N.W. by W. from the last mentioned buoy, on the N.W. point of the bank, is a spar buoy, painted black standing nine feet out of the water; Gibraltar Point Lighthouse bearing N.E. by E. and the high chimney of the Lunatic Asylum Water Works N. by W 3/4 W. Coming in from the spar buoy on that course gives three fathoms of water, until pretty well up the shore, when the two lights are in a range in 12 feet of water, which depth continues in mid-channel till past the red buoy, when the water deepens as you get in. The red buoy, at the entrance of the west channel extends in 11 1/2 feet of water. In the east channel there are two red spar buoys on east (starboard) side going into the Bay, and two black spar buoys on the West (port) side going in. There is only 6 1/2 feet of water in mid-channel, in the shallowest part. If any of the buoys should be displaced, the marks for the channel are the Stonehouse on Tinning's wharf and the offices of the Grand Trunk Railroad, foot of Simcoe Street. On the Queen's wharf are placed the harbour lights - the northernmost a fixed red light, the other a bright beacon light on the western extremity of the pier. The distance from Oswego is 132 miles. [Oswego Times]


Media Type:
Text
Newspaper
Item Type:
Clippings
Date of Original:
July 22, 1873
Local identifier:
KN.21269
Language of Item:
English
Donor:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Contact
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Email
WWW address
Comment on this item
Groups of Related Records
Kingston Newspaper clippings
Other Web sites/External links
Kingston News, 22 July 1873 Kingston News, 22 July 1873
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Daily News (Kingston, ON), July 22, 1873