The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Daily News (Kingston, ON), Sept. 16, 1873

Full Text

p.2 Marine News

There is not very much doing in the harbour now, the arrears having been overtaken, and the arrivals small.

Coulthurst & McPhie's wharf - prop. Enterprise, Port Dalhousie, 21,980 bush. wheat; Merry, Cleveland, 11,700 bush. wheat.

Montreal Transportation Company's wharf - The tug Glide left with barges St. Lawrence, 10,128 bush. wheat; Relief, 12,144 bush. wheat; Harvest, 15,800 bush. wheat; Amazon, 10,350 bush. corn; Frank, 10,000 bush. corn; Westport, 10,215 bush. wheat.

James Swift & Co.'s wharf - The steamers Picton and Corinthian passed down, and the schr. Flying Scud arrived with 120 tons coal from Oswego.

Port Colborne, Sept. 15th - Down: schr. M.L. Breck, Toledo, Kingston, timber; props. Concord, Chicago, Ogdensburg, gen. cargo; Nashua, Chicago, Ogdensburg, gen. cargo; Empire, Toledo, Ogdensburg, gen. cargo; steam-barge Swallow, Detroit, Ogdensburg, lumber; schrs. L. Seaton, Toledo, Oswego, wheat; Cossack, Milwaukee, Oswego, wheat; Surprise, Milwaukee, Oswego, wheat; O. Mowat, Toledo, Kingston, wheat; Mediterranean, Toledo, Oswego, wheat; Cortez, Chicago, Oswego, wheat; Yankee Blade, Chicago, Kingston, wheat; Granada, Milwaukee, Oswego, wheat; prop. Lawrence, Chicago, Ogdensburg, gen. cargo; schrs. Princess Alexandra, Amherstburg, Kingston, staves; Kate Kelly, Detroit, Oswego, wheat; Clara Youell, Bay City, Kingston, staves; Orient, Chicago, Oswego, corn; Monticello, Chicago, Kingston, wheat; A.P. Murray, Cleveland, Kingston, wheat; Lincoln, Detroit, Oswego, wheat; T. Parsons, Chicago, Kingston, wheat; A. Moshier, Chicago, Pt. Colborne, wheat; Three Balls, Chicago, Pt. Colborne, corn; Madeira, Chicago, Kingston, wheat; Atlanta, Chicago, Kingston, wheat; I.H. Breck, Toledo, Kingston, timber.

Up: prop. City of New York, schrs. St. Peter, A. Cohen, barges Star of the North, City, prop. Ocean, schrs. Fellow Craft, White Oak.


On Friday last the yachts Lady Stanley, Water Kelpie and Sphynx left this harbour to join in the race that was to come off at Hamilton on the day following. The Lady Stanley and Water Kelpie reached their destination after experiencing desperate weather on the way up, the latter vessel having run a narrow escape from being lost. The Sphynx never made her appearance at Burlington Bay; and when Saturday had passed, and no tidings of the yacht were received, uneasiness was felt as to the safety of the crew. These were T.K. Morgan, barrister of this city; Mr. T.D. Groves, a clerk in his office, and son of the Rev. Mr. Groves, of Brockton; Mr. Harry Davidson, of the firm of Russell & Davidson, jewellers; and Mr. John Ward, a son of Mr. George Ward, of Adelaide street. By yesterday morning their friends were alarmed, which was justified by the absence of any intelligence, and the stormy weather that had set in during the time they had been out. Yesterday afternoon all doubt and uncertainty were cruelly brought to an end by the receipt of a telegram which announced the fact, of which more particulars are given in the following despatch. The news of the disaster created a feeling of sincere sorrow throughout the entire circle of their acquaintances, as each of the party lost was deservedly esteemed. The squall that capsized the yacht must have struck suddenly and hard, as the gentlemen on board, particularly Mr. Morgan, knew well how to handle a boat.

Port Dalhousie, September 15th - The schr. Mary Battle, while bound for this port, and when about eight miles from here, this forenoon came across the yacht Sphynx, which was drifting down the lake, with spars cut out and partially filled with water. In the yacht were two men, one, whose name was found to be John Ward, being alive, the other, named H. Davidson, being dead. On arrival here, Dr. J.W. Considine, coroner, held an inquest, when the following facts were elicited from Mr. Ward, viz: That the yacht was upset off Oakville on Friday night last, and that two of the crew, Messrs. Morgan and Groves, were drowned at once. He and Mr. Davidson succeeded in regaining the boat. They drifted about at the mercy of the storm, having cut the spars out to right the yacht. On awaking this morning Mr. Ward found that his companion had died during the night. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with these facts, to the effect that the deceased had died from exhaustion and exposure while on board the wreck of the yacht Sphynx. Mr. Ward is very weak and almost starved, but is now gradually getting stronger, being well cared for at the Wood House here. [Globe]

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Sept. 16, 1873
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Daily News (Kingston, ON), Sept. 16, 1873