The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Daily News (Kingston, ON), July 16, 1874

Full Text

p.2 New Light - A new lighthouse has been erected at Brown's Point, Wolfe Island, and it was lit up successfully on the 14th. The lights supplied are three first-class catoptric lights, with one and a half inch burners. A lighthouse has been long needed at this point, as the coast along there is very dangerous, and when leaving the harbour vessels were liable to run aground on the Spectacle Shoals on the north side of the river. Its erection will, therefore, be a great benefit to navigation and useful to mariners.

The prop. Luna went down in a gale last Sunday, off Rondeau, near Buffalo. She had a tow of barges, and the crew had barely time to escape.

Marine Intelligence

Holcomb & Stewart's wharf - schrs.Hungarian, from Chicago, 16,000 bush. corn; John T. Mott, from Chicago, 21,023 bush. corn; C.C. Trowbridge, from Chicago, 16,100 bush. corn; barge Martin, from Montreal, light.

James Swift & Co.'s wharf - strs. Algerian from Montreal; Magnet from Charlotte; Corinthian from Hamilton; tug Eleanor from Rideau Canal; prop. Acadia from Hamilton; prop. Lake Michigan from Hamilton.

Montreal Transportation Company - schr. White Cloud, from Chicago, with 13,000 bush. wheat.

Jones & Millar - schr. E.H. Rutherford, from Toledo, 16,700 bush. corn; barge Rapid, with 16,700 bush. corn departed for Montreal.

Port Colborne, July 15th - Down: schrs. T.S. Mott, Chicago, Oswego, corn; Erie Stewart, Cleveland, Toronto, coal; prop. Bristol, Toledo, Kingston, wheat; schrs. Otter, Chicago, Prescott, wheat; Oriental, Sault Ste. Marie, Kingston, timber; Victor, Toledo, Kingston, corn and wheat; Mary, Cleveland, Toronto, coal; J.R. Pelton, Cleveland, Toronto, stone; C. Jeffrey, Erie, Port Dalhousie, coal; barque Arctic, Cleveland, Toronto, coal; yacht Ina, Detroit, Toronto, light; schrs. Moonlight, Toledo, Kingston, wheat; Light Guard, Milwaukee, Kingston, wheat; W.R. Hanna, Samlax, Oswego, hoops; Jessie Scarth, Wheatley, Kingston, timber; Bay Trader, Cleveland, Toronto, coal and stone; prop. City of St. Catharines, Toledo, Montreal, corn; schrs. Lime Rock, Cleveland, Toronto, coal and stone; Antelope of St. Catharines, Leamington, Kingston, timber; T. Martin.

Up: schr. Pride of America, Kingston, Bay City, light; barque Church, Ogdensburg, Toledo, light; schrs. Mary Battle, Collinsby, Toledo, light; J.C. Woodruff, Clayton, Toledo, light; Queen of the Lakes, Cobourg, Ashtabula, iron ore; O.M. Bond, Oswego, Chicago, coal; Bolivia, Oswego, Chicago, coal; Laura, Collinsby, Toledo, light; steam-barge Clinton, Kingston, light; schrs. Maize, Oswego, Toledo, light; Marysburg, Toronto, Ashtabula, light; barque George Thurston, Kingston, Bay City, light; barque Grantham, Kingston, Goderich, light; M.C. Cameron, Kingston, Goderich, light; barques Maggie McRae, Kingston, Bay City, light; Itasca, Oswego, Milwaukee, coal; Queen of the North, Toronto, Ashtabula, light; prop. Empire, Ogdensburg, Toledo, gen. cargo; schr. Watchful, Toronto, Vermillion, light; prop. Orion, Montreal; Nashua, Ogdensburg, Chicago, gen. cargo; schrs. Wave, Cobourg, Ashtabula, iron ore; Josephine, Toronto, light.

In Harbour - schrs. Watchful, Marco Polo, barques Grantham, Cameron, Pride of America, Mary Battle, J.C. Woodruff, schrs. Wave, Grace, Sherwood, Marysburg, Maize, Queen of the North, Thurston, Queen of the Lakes, McRae, Josephine, H. Fitzhugh, prop. Empire, barque Bessie Barwick.

Sailed up the Canal yesterday from Allenburg, and went outside without steam or tug: - schr. McRae ran back this p.m., having broken her centreboard. Schrs. Marysburg, Queen of the North, and M.C. Cameron also ran back. Heavy weather.


The Foam, owned by Messrs. Henderson and Anderson, of Toronto, started on Saturday afternoon at 3:30 on a cruise to Niagara, where those on board intended to spend the Sunday. On board the yacht Mr. R.C. Henderson, barrister; Thomas and Charles Anderson, sons of Mr. Weir Anderson, manager of the Trust and Loan Company; Mr. Murray, of the Merchants' Bank, and son of Mr. Murray, of the firm of Moffatt and Murray; Mr. Vernon, of the Trust and Loan Company; Mr. Taylor, book-keeper of the Toronto Car Company; and Mr. Brandon, of the Bank of British North America. The Foam was seen by the steamer City of Toronto about half-past seven on Saturday night, laying her course for Niagara. The yacht Ripple, which started later for Niagara, and on board of which was Mr. Thomas Moss, M.P., last sighted the Foam about half a mile from Niagara, when the Ripple, finding the wind and sea rising, bore away for Port Dalhousie.

The wind continued fresh from the coast with heavy sea running. On arrival at Port Dalhousie the Ripple anchored, and remained there until Monday, when she returned last evening to Toronto. It was then Mr. Moss and others heard of the non-arrival of the Foam, and consequently they became alarmed as to her safety, for on enquiry nothing could be heard of her. Mr. Moss and Capt. Courneen made enquiries among the friends of those on board the Foam, and from what intelligence they could glean, they determined to charter the tug Young Lion to go in search of the missing yacht. At five o'clock yesterday morning the tug left Toronto and crossed over about Jordan, and went along thence to Burlington Beach, and from thence to the north shore, Oakville and Grimsby. News of the supposed disaster was given to several vessels and steamboats on the Lake. Later on in the morning the yachts Oriole, Lady Stanley and Ripple made up crews, and cruised over the Lake. Application was made to the United States revenue cutter Chase, lying in the harbour, to go out in search, but the request was not complied with. When the steamer Clyde came in from St. Catharines some of the relatives of the missing crew requested Capt. Wyatt to go out also with her to look after the yacht. The owners of the Clyde very liberally placed the boat at Capt. Wyatt's disposal, merely requiring the fuel consumed to be paid for. The Clyde started out at 2:30 p.m., taking the middle of the Lake to above Grimsby. Capt. Wyatt knew the tug Lion had gone over the south and north side. After a four hours' cruise the Clyde met the Lion, and Captain Courneen and Mr. Moss gave the route they had passed over. The Clyde then went along the shore from Jordan to Port Dalhousie and returned to Toronto without seeing anything although a good look out was kept by Capt. Ellis, T. Tinning, and others on board. These two boats cruised over the whole of the lake west of Toronto. The general opinion amongst yachtsmen is that seeing the Ripple changing her course to Port Dalhousie the Foam did the same and being deep in the water with 4 tons of iron ballast the heavy sea from the east which she was running before, on altering her course, washed over her, and the wind catching her at the same time, heeled her over and she went down with all on board. Every port around the lake has been telegraphed to, but up to a late hour last night nothing had been heard of the yacht Foam or any of the crew. The Foam was formerly called the John Powers of Kingston. She was not reckoned a very safe sea boat among yachtsmen, and was not considered safe to cross the lake, notice of which had been given to the owners. Much sympathy is felt for the relations of those on board. One chance only remains, which, however, is probably a forlorn hope, that is, the crew may have been picked up by some vessel detained by a head wind from reaching her port of destination.

No Further Tidings

The Mail says up to a late hour last night no tidings had been received of the Foam. The yacht Oriole returned from the search yesterday morning. The American revenue cutter Chase left at 4 a.m. on a cruise round the lake, but had not returned last night.

Yachtsmen generally entertain very little hope of the safety of the Foam or the gentlemen who formed her crew, it being thought that the yacht went down somewhere about the mouth of the Niagara River.

A canard was circulated by a city contemporary yesterday afternoon to the effect that the Foam had been seen near Grimsby dismantled, but upon the closest investigation the rumour was found to be altogether groundless.

We are authoritively informed that Mr. Taylor, book-keeper of the Canada Car Company, was on board the Foam, but that neither Mr. Akers nor Mr. Richards formed part of the crew, as erroneously stated. We are requested to contradict a statement made by one of our contemporaries that Mr. Weir Anderson was part owner of the Foam, that gentleman never having, at any time, any proprietary interest in her. The name of one of the sons of Mr. Anderson, who was on board, and published in the Mail as T. Anderson, is William Anderson.

The yacht Oriole returned from her cruise in search of the Foam about 10 o'clock yesterday morning, and her crew saw nothing of the vessel alleged to be on shore near Grimsby, which place they passed about 7 a.m.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
July 16, 1874
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Daily News (Kingston, ON), July 16, 1874