Oswego Times & Journal (Oswego, NY), May 6, 1856
- Full Text
New Vessels. - Three new vessels were launched in the city this afternoon: two from the ship yard of Ald. Rogers. - The brig E. W. Cross, named after Capt. Cross, an experienced and enterprising navigator of the Lakes, is built for Ald. Colborn, and is to run in the "Eagle Line" of sail vessels, of which D. L. Couch and E. W. Cross, Forwarding and Commission Lumber Merchants, are the Agents. This brig is of the largest class of vessels passing the Welland Canal, and as large as the locks will pass. Her dimensions were given in our paper yesterday. Her capacity is equal to and from eighteen to nineteen thousand bushels of grain. She is to be commanded by Capt. Moore.
The other vessel launched from Ald. R's yard is called the Dreadnought, and is of the same dimensions as the E. W. Cross,. She is a fore-and-aft rigged schooner built for the "Game Cock Line" of Messrs. Clemow & Bloore, and will be commanded by Capt. Kimbell, late of the Young America. Both these vessels are of the largest dimensions and of the most splendid models. They do great credit to the enterprising builder, and will add largely to the high reputation of Mr. Rogers.
The other vessel was built at the ship yard of Messrs. Goble & Crocket, for Messrs. Doolittle, Irwin & Wright. - She is also of the largest class with a fore and aft schooner rig. At this writing we have not learned her name. She will also do infinite credit to her enterprising buildings. All three of these vessels were successfully launched with their spars in and sails bent, ready to load.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Date of Original:
- May 6, 1856
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Richard Palmer
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes