Capture of Oswego in 1756. - We have inadvertently permitted the centennial anniversary of the capture of Oswego by the French in 1756, on the 14th of August, to pass by without the notice to which it is entitled. Oswego, or "Chouaguen," as it was then called, was in the hands of the English, and was deemed a strong and important point by the French, and who determined to take it, with all other fortified points in the hands of the English on the Lake, if possible.
Accordingly, an expedition of 3,000 French troops, militia and Indians, with some 80 batteaux, under Marquis Montcalm, started from Montreal on the 4th of August, to invest and take this point. The expedition moved cautiously, at night only, through the country along the margin of the Lake, and came upon the fortifications unexpectedly.
Fort Ontario was abandoned at once, and the English garrison crossed to the west side of the river, and made a defense in Forts George and Chouageun, one of which was located on the hill, the present site of Mr. Smith's new residence, and the other near the foot of First street. Col. Mercer commanded the English forces, and made as good a resistance as possible. But the attack was unexpected, and the strength of the French and Indians and their heavy batteries, soon decided the day after the death of Col. Mercer, and the English capitulated, surrendering everything to the French on the 14th of August, 1756 - one hundred years ago.
The French took 1,700 prisoners, 7 vessels of war, 200 barges, about 120 pieces of cannon, of different classes, ammunition, provisions, &c. It was a great triumph for the French, and after demolishing the fortifications and everything else they did not want, took their prisoners, and such property as they wished, and went back to Montreal, leaving Oswego in ruins, and without protection or population except the Indians.