Custom House, Port Huron, Collector's Office, March 10, 1886.
To whom it may concern:
Know Ye that the Hon. Commissioner of Navigation, by letter dated March 8, 1886, authorized the changing of the name of the Propeller "Pickup" to that of "Lucile," under the provision of the Act of March 2, 1881. This is to give notice that I will enroll and license the above named vessel under the name of "Lucile."
W. L. Bancroft, Collector.
March 11, 1886
. . . . .
Steam screw LUCILE.* U.S. No. 150304. Of 136.74 tons gross; 106.75 tons net. Built at Marine City, Mich., in 1883. Home port, Grand Haven, Mich. 80.2 x 19.1 x 6.7
* Formerly steam screw PICKUP.
Merchant Vessels List, U.S., 1891
The name of the excursion steamer PICKUP has been changed to LUCILLA. [sic]
Buffalo Daily Republic
April 3, 1886
. . . . .
THE LUCILE IN PORT.
The first boat to arrive this season from outside was the LUCILE, which steamed up to the foot of Genesee Avenue about 9 o'clock Sunday night. Capt. Mahar and Clerk English report that they left Port Huron Saturday at 2:30 P. M., and in company with the SANILAC, ploughed through ice to Sand beach, where they struck clear water. The two boats separated on the bay, the SANILAC putting into Tawas. They encountered one mass of ice from Point Lookout to the mouth of the river, but it was honey-combed and giving way rapidly before the rays of the hot sun. They sighted the sunken steamer OCONTO, which from a distance appeared to be all right and in no danger of getting broken up. The LUCILE, which has been rechristened, after Mr. English's daughter, was taken to Mitts & Merrill's slings to be measured for an extra wheel to be used in case of accident. She is a splendid steamer, and is pronounced a beauty by the numerous citizens who have seen her. She was built at Marine City, and came out in September 1883. Last season she ran out of Buffalo as an excursion boat. She is 100 feet in length over all, and breadth of beam 22 feet, and is capable of making 12 miles an hour. Her cabin, which is 70 feet long and finely finished, will be altered to enlarge its capacity. The steamer is allowed to carry 300 passengers. She will be put on the river route tomorrow, and will make two round trips a day until the 1st of May, when she will make three.
April 20, 1886