"The schooner HARRIET ROSS was formerly the schooner CAMBRIA, which was built at Pillar Point, at the foot of Lake Ontario, in the year 1842. She was entirely rebuilt in the year 1853 by Captain John Booth, of this city, and given the name she now bears. She was sold to H.M. Bradley, of Chicago, in 1863 and again rebuilt. She has changed hands several times since and was owned once by Capt. Tom Collins, of this city, to whom we are indebted for most of these facts. The story about her being the LAWRENCE is very absurd."
July 25, 1881
Schooner HARRIET ROSS, built from the bottom of schooner CAMBRIDGE, which was built on Lake Ontario, 1843, [The HARRIET ROSS was NOT built in 1810 as newspapers say]
Jan. 8, 1885
The schooner HARRIET ROSS [now afloat on Lake Ontario] was not Commodore Perry's flagship, as has been stated. She was never in that service, and is not a rebuild from any vessel that was in the service. The ROSS was built on the bottom of the old ship TRENTON. Captain H.F. Wing, an old navigator and a Lake Erie man, now in the Chicago Custom House, saw the ROSS built and served as first officer upon her.
The J.W. Hall Great Lakes Marine Scrapbook, July/August, 1882