H. M. S. Sauk (Gunboat)
- Full Text
"Following the naval battle of Put-in-Bay, the victorious Americans were left in undisputed control of Lake Erie. In 1816 the British force on the lake consisted of four vessels; H.M.S. TECUMSETH and H.M.S. NEWASH, with four guns each; and H.M.S. HURON and H.M.S. SAUK, with one gun each. There were also at least four smaller gunboats classed as Durham boats. These vessels made their home at the new naval base at the mouth of Grand River and were used primarly for transporting men and stores from port to port.
The schooner TECUMSETH had a 70' 6" gun deck, weighed 166 tons, and carried 48 men. The NEWASH, a schooner with brigantine rigging, was the same size as TECUMSETH and could carry up to 57 men. The smaller schooners HURON and SAUK were captured from the United States navy at Fort Erie on August 12, 1814. HURON, formerly U.S.S. OHIO, weighed 66 tons and SAUK, formerly U.S.S. SOMERS, weighed 87 tons."
'Grand River Naval Depot' p. 13
by John Thornley Docker
Dunnville District Heritage Association
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- ex U.S.S. SOMERS
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- William R. McNeil
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes