Oswego Advertiser & Times (Oswego, NY), May 18, 1867
- Full Text
A Steam Towing Line on the Oswego Canal. - The flood on the line of the Oswego Canal still continues, the water being over the tow path in many places to a depth of four feet. We learn that the tugs George Dodge, Capt. Baltis, and Fulton, Capt. Wing, have been employed several days in towing boats, the Dodge running from Phoenix to New Bridge, and the Fulton from New Bridge to Mud Lock. The tugs will continue this business till the water subsides enough to allow the use of teams. They can pull up about eight boats a day, and brind down ten or fifteen light boats.
These boats have recently been purchased by parties in this city, the Fulton being owned by Messrs. Lewis & Brown. She is a fine boat, having been built in Buffalo last year. She has laid in Troy during the winter, and towed through the Van Buren, the first loaded boat from New York.
The George Dodge is owned by the Baltis Bros. and Frank Hoffman, and is from Philadelphia. Both will be employed in the harbor during the coming season.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Date of Original:
- May 18, 1867
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Richard Palmer
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes