The Tug Oswego. - This fine and powerful tug which was formerly owned by H.M. Ames, of this city, and which has recently been purchased by A.S. Page, arrived in the harbor this morning. About 10 o'clock, Capt. Murphy's tug, Maria Melvin, started out to meet the Oswego, having on board a jolly company of 25 or 30 gentlemen, who had been notified of the expected arrival of the Oswego.
The tug home in sight sooner than was expected, and the Maria Melvin immediately got under way, and with flags streaming, steamed out into the lake. The tugs met about two miles out, and those on board hailed each other with round after round of cheers. Captain Dobbie of the Oswego, signaled the party of the Maria Melvin aboard, and the tugs neared each other for that purpose. The lake was rather rough, and four or five of the party, much to their chagrin, were unable to get on board. Their feelings were not much alleviated at witnessing the hearty greetings on the Oswego, for they were equally anxious to take Capt. Dobbie's hand and pronounce a verdict and the quality of the "rations" which appeared to be passing around pretty lively.
The two tugs then steamed into the harbor, and laid up at the steamboat dock, while a large crowd was gathered. Capt. Dobbie invited his friends on board the tug Oswego, and the "O.B.J." went round again. The Captain was in the best of "spirits," as most of those present will testify.
Capt. Dobbie informs us that he left New York April 25th and made the passage in 20 days, having been delayed half of that time in Halifax and Pictou by fogs and unfavorable weather. The Oswego is considerably larger than any of the tugs now employed in the harbor. She was built in Philadelphia in 1857 or 58, for H.M. Ames, and was under command of Capt. Joe. Kimball, until being subsequently sold to Western parties, when she was employed on the St. Clair Flats, wrecking and towing vessels. About the year 1863 she was purchased by Littlejohn, Dane & Co. for the purpose of towing on the Hudson River, but was soon chartered by the government till the close of the war.
At the close of navigation last season she was purchased of Littlejohn, Dane & Co., by A.S. Page, and hereafter will be chiefly employed in towing rafts between the Bay of Quinte and this port. The Oswego is know to be one of the best and most power tugs that has ever been on the lakes, and we are glad to see her come back to this port.
Capt. Dobbie, who commands her, is well known to all lake men, being an old resident of this city, and one of the most thoroughly experienced and efficient officers that ever trod a dock. We trust her proprietor, Mr. Page, may see the Oswego making many prosperous and successful trips as the reward of his enterprise in securing so valuable a craft to be employed in our home trade.