It was here also ( Cap Des Rosiers, Gulf of the St. Lawrence ) that the lengthy career of a ageing lake steamer came to an end on the 23 rd. June 1922. The steamer MARY BATTLE had taken shape at the hands of master shipwright, Melancthon Simpson, at St. Catharines, Ontanio, in 1872, a typical canal steamer of the second Welland Canal era. Her owner was James Norris and Miller, shipowner's of St. Catharines, and she measured 131 x 23.9 x 11.9 and her registered tomnage was 335.
She was fitted with a simple low pressure engine having one cylinder 20" X 20" and built by John Doty of Toronto. Her name was LINCOLN, the County of which St. Catharines is the centre, and her official number was 88638. On the I9th. October 1887, she stranded in the Fishing Islands, on the Lake Huron side of the Bruce Peninsula, while on a voyage to Chicago with a cargo of railway ties, the wreck subsequently became the property of one George E. Smith, of Southampton, Ontario.
He salvaged the LINCOLN and rebuilt her. In 1888, she re-appeared as the LILLIE SMITH, official number 94911, and with slightly revised dimensions; 130 x 26 x 9.4 gross, 275, and Net, 187, Smith obviously removed all or most of her upper deckhouse, thereby reducing the tonnage figures. He kept her till 1914, when she was sold to the Canadian Sand & Gravel Co. of Thorold, Ontario, these owners changed her name to MARY BATTLE and three years later sold her to the Reid Wrecking Co. of Sarnia, Ontario. From 1918 untill her loss, her owners were the Maritime Wrecking and Salvage Co. of Montreal
from " The Lower St. Lawrence "
by Ivan S. Brookes
Screw propeller MARY BATTLE. Official canadian No. 94911. Of 275 tons gross; 187 tons reg. Built at Southampton, Ont., in 1888. Home port, Montreal, Que. 130.0 x 26.0 x 9.4 Of 44 horse power. Owned by Marine Wrecking & Salvage Co. Ltd., of Montreal, Que.
List of Vessels on the Registry Books of the
Dominion of Canada on December 31, 1920