Propeller LORD ELGIN, Total loss on Long Point, Kingston. Built Oswego 1841. ex SYRACUSE
December 5, 1856
LORD ELGIN. Official Canada No. 33457. Of about 153 tons gross. Built Oswego, N.Y., in 1845, as U. S., SYRACUSE. Became Canadian 1852 and renamed LORD ELGIN. 116 x 21 x 10. DISPOSITION: -- Wrecled lake Ontario December 1856.
Preliminary List of Canadian Merchant Steamships
Inland & Coastal, 1809 to 1930. World Ship Society
The propeller SYRACUSE built at the shipyard of George S. Weeks, will be launched from the dock at the foot of First Street at 5 o'clock, P. M., on Saturday next. The SYRACUSE, built by Mr. Weeks, for Merrick, Davis and Co., is, we believe, the largest vessel ever built here for the upper lake trade, and as large as the Welland Canal can pass the present season. She is of 350 tons burthen, and will stow 2,000 barrels below deck. She has a commodious and well finished cabin on her main deck with ten state rooms, and extensive accommodations for passengers. Her capacity and accommodations are unequalled by anything built here in the line of freight vessels. She is built with great strength of the best materials and thoroughly bolted through and through. Her engine and machinery, now going on board, are upon the Erickson plan and were constructed by Hart, Higham and Co., of the Ican Works, in Utica. The SYRACUSE is advertised to leave here on the 29th of this month, as one of the propellers forming the New York, Oswego and Chicago Line, under command of Capt. Wm. Williams, an experienced, capable and faithful officer. - Oswego Daily Adv., May 8th.
Daily National Pilot
Tuesday, May 13, 1845