About eleven o'clock last night, Mr. Peter Lamoree died at his home in West Fifth street. The deceased was one of the earliest citizens of Oswego. He was born in New Baltimore, N. Y. , in 1812. He came to Oswego in the year 1827 and began life as a ship-carpenter.
After mastering this trade he embarked in the business, and with the late John Lee under the firm name of Lee and Lamoree, established the shipyard now owned by George Goble. They built the schooners "Delos DeWolf," "Matthew McNair" and other vessels which were the first traders between Oswego and Chicago.
After the dissolution of the firm Mr. Lamoree built the schooners "Cheney Ames" at Youngstown and the "Reindeer" at Cold Water, Georgian Bay, one of the first vessels sailing from the lakes to Europe. He built the first tug in Oswego, the "O. S. Howard," owned by Hon. Abner C. Mattoon and planned and built the first steamers that plied Oneida Lake. His last work in his business was the fleet little yacht "Gracie L. "
Mr. Lamoree was familiar with the marine and shipbuilding business of the lakes and a very competent and well-informed man upon all such matters. He saw the beginning of shipbuilding here, and saw it become the best industry of the town. Its decadence grieved him, and he hoped to see the city attain its old maritime importance before he died.
Mr. Lamoree was a member of the first fire company organized in Oswego and was for many years one of the most active Volunteer firemen. He was one of the original members of the Old Oswego Guards and held the office of Paymaster of the company. He was prominent in all public affairs in the early days of the city and exercised considerable influence.
Mr. Lamoree in 1848 was united in marriage with Miss Catharine E. Casler, who with their children, Charles H. , O. A. , N. T. , Mrs. E. L. Smith, Miss Emma A. and Belle, survive him. The funeral will take place from his late residents 72 West Fifth St. Sunday at 2 p. m.