The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Oswego Palladium (Oswego, NY), Monday, August 26, 1918

Full Text
Sudden Death of Commodore Thomas Crimmins
Found Dead at His Home This Morning - Apoplexy Caused the End - Widely Known in Marine Circles.

Thomas Crimmins, sixty-eight, one of the last of the old-time Oswego marine men, was found death at his home, No. 133 W. Schuyler street, this morning at six o'clock by his wife's sister, Mrs. Margaret Stone. He was found on the floor of the bathroom. Dr. A.C. Baxter was summoned and after an examination decided he had been dead for some time and gave the cause as apoplexy. Coroner C.J. Vowinkel was also called and decided than an inquest would be unnecessary.

Mr. Crimmins, who has always been in good health, came home Saturday night complaining that he was not feeling well. Despite his usual custom of taking a walk along the lake front, he stayed at home all day yesterday and went to bed last night a little week. Some time during the night he went into the bathroom and was stricken there.

As "Commodore" Mr. Crimmins was probably the most widely known marine man on Lake Ontario and he was as well liked as he was known. In fact, in Oswego marine circles he was practically an institution. he knew every captain and boat owner that plied the lake and whenever any marine man wanted anything done in Oswego he turned to the Commodore, who was glad to lend his aid. He was always a genial, whole-souled man and the news of his sudden death today shocked his large number of friends.

Commodore Crimmins was a good marine man because his heart was in his business. He liked the lakes and in the old days when scores of Canadian schooners used to play into this port he could tell which one was coming as far as the eye, with the aid of glasses, could reach. to him each boat had its distinctive rig. Even to the end he was well informed on the boats that plied here and he did not count a day complete without a little trip to the lake banks for a survey of the harbor and the craft moored there. He had many interesting mementos of the busy lake days at his home and a barometer that forecast the ever changing weather unfailingly. If Commodore Crimmins told you it was liable to rain, you could bank on it that it would.

He started his marine career as a boy when he entered the employ of Morgan M. Wheeler, who had a large tug business here. Later he went with Smith & Post, and also became part owner of the tugs Ferris and Avery. For many years he was collector for the Oswego Towing Association and also associated with W.D. Allen. Ten years ago when the vessels began to disappear and the tugs went out of the harbor to other ones, Mr. Crimmins became collector for the New York Telephone Company and later went with the People's Gas and Electric Company, for whom he was working at the time of his death. He was born in and had always been a resident of the First Ward and had always been a member of St. Mary's Church. Surviving him are his wife, three daughters, Matte, Irene and Mrs. William Costta, and one son, Thomas Crimmins.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Monday, August 26, 1918
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Richard Palmer
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Oswego Palladium (Oswego, NY), Monday, August 26, 1918