Fire Destroys Coast Guard's Big Sandy Unit
Station on Shore of Lake Ontario, Built in 1877, Leveled
Oswego - Fire early Sunday (Nov. 3) destroyed the United States Coast Guard station at Big Sandy, 23 1/2 miles east of Oswego. No details as to the fire had been received here, altho a report was made to the district headquarters of the Coast Guard in Buffalo.
The Big Sandy station went on the inactive list on September 1 because the Coast Guard Department is making preparations for the building of a new station on Galloups Island at the foot of Lake Ontario.
The station, which was fully equipped, was left in charge of two men while the other members of the crew were transferred to different stations. Those in charge of the station were Capt. C. F. Potts, chief boatswain's mate, and Surfman Harvey Barker.
Big Sandy station was erected in 1877. It was operated continuously until two years before Prohibition when it was made inactive. Rum running from Canada made it necessary to place the station back on the active list and a full crew with equipment was provided. Several important rum running expeditions were intercepted by the Big Sandy crew.
Captain Anderson who for many years was in command of the Oswego station, also was in charge of Big Sandy station for a long time. Others in charge there included Captains Van Alstyne, Fish, Clemens, and Chapman. Capt. George A. Jackson, commanding the Oswego station, also was at Big Sandy before coming to Oswego.