Since July 1796, small garrisons of soldiers of the Regular Army of the United States had been quartered in the forts then evacuted for their occupation at Niagara, Detroit, and mackinac. At first they had been dependent on vessels sailing under the British flag for the transportation of supplies by water and had on at least two occasions been loaded provisions from the military depot at Amherstburg. A small schooner or sloop was built a year or two later for the conveyance of supplies and troops from Detroit to Mackinac and an outpost at presque'Isle on Lake Erie, which was named the GENERAL WILKINSON, in compliment to the officer commanding the military district. This was probably the first vessel that sailed on the Upper lakes under the flag of the United States.
Memorials of Fort Erie and Early Navigation of Lake Erie
by Colonel Cruckshank p. 117.
Schooner WILKINSON.* Built Detroit, Mich., 1797. Of 80 tons gross for U. S. Navy.
* Renamed AMELIA -
Herman Runge List