Mary E. Willis (Tug), 1 Oct 1863
- Full Text
Yesterday afternoon at 2:30 we attended the launch of the tug MARY E. WILLIS, at the yard of Hingston Bros., at the foot of Hundson St. At the given time the vessel started gracefully down the ways - her beautiful colors flying - for the watery element. Miss Mary E. Willis breaking a bottle of wine over her bow, according to the ancient mode of baptism of vessels. She took to the water as naturally as if she had been born in it; and 3 hours afterwards we saw her steaming into Erie Basin. She is owned by Messrs. Peter Miller, Chief Engineer of the W.T. Co., and W.H. Willis, Superintendent of the Canal Department of the same company. She was built by practical men for practical use, and is pronounced a perfect success by those who understand such matters. The following are her dimensions:
Length over all, 50 ft.; beam 11 ft.; depth of hold 5 1/2 ft.
The cylinder is 12 inches in diameter and 12 inches stroke.
The boiler is 11 ft. 4 inches long and 4 ft. 4 inches in diameter. It was built by Philip Riter, familiarly known as "Old Phil." The engine was constructed at the Vulcan Foundry of which W. Moses is foreman.
Buffalo Morning Express
October 1, 1863 3-1
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- launch, Buffalo
- Date of Original:
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- William R. McNeil
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes