Cliffs Victory (Freighter), 1945
- Full Text
CLIFFS VICTORY - Victory Class cargo ship (U.S.247522) built in 1945 at Portland, Oregon by Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation (Hull # 1229) launched March 9, 1945, for the U.S. Maritime Commission as a.) NOTRE DAME VICTORY: 436.6 X 62 X 38; 7,606 gross tons. Powered by a 9,350 shp double reduction geared, cross compound steam turbine. Purchased by Cleveland Cliffs in 1950, converted to a bulk carrier by Bethlehem Shipbuilding, Sparrows Point, Maryland. Brought to the lakes in 1951, renamed b.) CLIFFS VICTORY, new dimensions 601 x 62 x 38; 9,305 gross tons. In service June 4, 1951. Lengthened 96 feet at South Chicago in 1957, new dimensions 698.5 x 62 x 38; 11,1151 gross tons. Idle in South Chicago from fall of 1981 until sold for scrap in 1985. Renamed c.) SAVIC (Panama 17015-NY). She sailed from the lakes late in 1985 and spent the winter anchored below Montreal. She departed the anchorage September 9, 1986 and arrived at Masan, Korea where she was scrapped in 1987.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Date of Original:
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- William R. McNeil
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes