City of Rome (Propeller), U125914, 7 Apr 1884
- Full Text
The prop. CITY OF ROME has been purchased by Smith & Davis, the insurance agents, of the Winslows, and will tow the schr. GUIDO PFISTER and REDWING, owned by the same firm. She is having some important changes made in her machinery by Mr. Trout of the King Iron Works, who has the best reputation for marine engines on the lakes. Her old engine was a fore-and-aft compound, built by the Cuyahoga Works of Cleveland, but failed to give satisfaction. The new cylinders are 30 and 60 inches in diameter and have 48 inches stroke, and the engine is fitted with steam reverse gear. This it is expected will make her one of the best propellers afloat. The CITY OF ROME was built at Cleveland by Quayles in 1881, and has a carrying capacity of 80,000 bushels of corn.
Buffalo Commercial Advertiser
April 7, 1884 3-6
Steam screw CITY OF ROME. U. S. No. 125914. Of 1908 tons gross; 1594 tons net. Built Cleveland, O., 1881. Home port, Sandusky, O. 268.2 x 40.2 x 20.3 Crew of 17. Of 500 indicated horsepower.
Merchant Vessel List, U. S., 1902
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- vessel sale
- Date of Original:
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- William R. McNeil
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes