At the present state of the tug business a new boat is looked upon, almost, as an institution to sink money; however, as will be seen by the following, Capt. Sol. Rummage, of the stmb. PERSIAN last season, is coming to this port with a new tug, and will, no doubt, receive the best wishes of all of his friends at Detroit:
Another new boat has just been added to the Cleveland marine, which, for beauty, speed and general completeness, is rarely equaled. The vessel is to be used for towing purposes, was built at the yard of Louis Laffrinier, of this city, for P.P. Johnson and Capt. Solon Rummage. She is named the P.L. JOHNSON, and has cost in the neighboorhood of $25,000. The vessel is 108 ft. long over all, 22 ft. beam and 10 ft. hold. Her engines are 24 1/2 by 30 inches, connected with which is a boiler 17 ft. in length by 8 ft. in diameter, double riveted and well stayed, and claimed by good engineers to be one of the very best ever turned out by the Cuyahoga Steam Furnace Co., by whom it was built. The tug is a double decker, with cabins for the officers on the upper deck, forward, and immediately connected with the rear of the pilot house. She may be known by the colored strpings, with a large star at the bows, while her stack is made to represent the antional colors, being painted red, white and blue.
Yesteday afternoon her trial trip was made, with some 200 hundred guests on board. Everything passed off pleasantly, and the working of her machinery gave the greatest of satisfaction. Altogether she is a model craft and promises to do a good deal of work. She will be officered as follows: Capt. Solon Rummage; mate, S.S. Rummage; engineer Ed. Dempsey. She will probably leave here for the Detroit River this evening. - Leader, May 31.
Detroit Free Press
June 1, 1875