FLOATING ELEVATOR. - We perceive that the old steamboat THOMAS JEFFERSON, which did such good service in her sphere, for some ten years, is being converted into a floating elevator - the hull having been purchased of General Reed, by Messrs. L. Barker and John Pagin, who are fitting it up for that object. It is intended to act as a transfer boat, in taking grain from vessels and discharging in into mills, canal boats or warehouses. The facility with which this can be done, must render this novel craft extremely serviceable in busy times, as it can get alongside of a loaded vessel, wherever she may be, and rapidly shift her cargo to canal boats on the other side, at the rate of 2,000 bushels an hour.
Although since the erection by Mr. Dart, some years since, of the first steam elevator on our harbor, there have been a number of others put into active, and successful operation, still the pressure of grain has been such that vessels have been unable to get discharged of their cargoes without much delay, and consequently "demurrage," during the present season. The Floating Elevator will, therefore, operate advantageously as an auxiliary, and also enable those warehouses which are not fitted with elevators, to likewise receive grain for winter storage, at small expense.
This improvement has been patented by Mr. Pagin, one of the owners, within the last three months, and is the first practical application of it which has yet been made. It has been suggested, that the present elevator should be stationed on the St. Clair Flats, to act as a lighter for heavily laden grain vessels bound down, and as it has capacity for stowing between decks, in self discharging bins, some 15,000 bushels, it might probably do a good business on that station; but if there be full employment found here, it will remain in thi
The JEFFERSON was of 428 tons burthen, built by Gen. Chas. M. Reed, at Erie in 1834, and was commanded by the veteran Wilkins. Her engine is now in the LOUISIANA. She was a popular and successful boat, and is destined yet to much usefulness in her new shape. Her bow has been entirely rebuilt, and new timber put in wherever the old were defective. The examination of her timbers shows the danger of dry rot, when not left partially open to the air. Where the lining was closely fitted to the deck above, some of the ribs above water were crumbled to pieces, and had to be replaced, while in other portions of the hold where access to air was given, they were perfectly sound. The practice of salting the timber when building, is unquestionably the best preventive of rot, and is easily and cheaply done.
The engine which does the elevating, is of 20 horse power, and manufactured by Messrs. Bell & McNeish - the boiler by Jno. Newman.
Buffalo Daily Courier
August 25, 1847
. . . . .