The MARSALA was one or the later barges built for the Minnesota Steamship Company. She was built by the Chicago Shipbuilding Company and launched in April 1900, as their Hull #39. Her dimensions were 436 x 50 x 24.5. She had a gross tonnage of 5,039 and 4,667 net. Her deadweight capacity was about 8,000 tons. She Sailed with first owners for but one season, passing into the fleet of the Pittsburgh Steamship Company in 1901. She was a “Silver Stacker” until 1939, when Hutchinson bought her and operated her in the Buckeye Steamship Company until early 1957, when she was sold to the River and Gulf Transfer Company of Madisonville, Kentucky. Shortly there-after, she left the Lakes via the Illinois Waterway. She is now owned by the Southern Railway ad Steel Co., of Jacksonville, Florida.
The steel barge is one of the most interesting types of Great Lakes vessels. Built in large numbers between 1895 and 1902 - in a transition period before the advent of the large bulk freighters, they were thought to be the ultimate in efficient bulk cargo carrying. The familiar combination or a freight steamship towing a barge or consort was soon rendered obsolete by the rapid increase in the size or the steamers in the early years of the 20th Century.
November 1960 p. 206
The stern of the barge MARSALA is very badly damaged as the result of a collision with the steamer J.C. GILCHRIST, which rammed her at Lorain yesterday. It will require ten days or two weeks to make repairs to the MARSALA
Buffalo Evening News
July 14, 1905
. . . . .