Launch of the Schooner "QUEEN OF THE NORTH"
There was a large turn out of the good people of Nottawasaga, Sunnidale and Collingwood, to witness the launch of this fine vessel, which took place on the 10th at Nottawassaga River, thirteen miles from Collingwood. This vessel was commenced some time since by a company at Collingwood, but being unable to go on, after a short time she was purchased by Mr. G. H. Wyan in connection with Messrs. A. M. Smith & Co., of this city, who have completed her. Her length is 134 feet, 11 feet hold, 261/2 beams, capacity about 16,000 bushels, or 400 tons burthen, and valued at $13,000 She is built of the very best seasoned oak, strongly fastened and spars of Norway pine. The rigging, canvas, patent iron shear-blocks, &c., are all imported; and her capstan, windless, centre board, &c., were manufactured by Messrs Doty & Co., of Oakville. On the arrival of the steamer CLIFTON from Collingwood, everything being ready, the word was given to cut away, and she shot off her ways into the river in fine style, being christened "QUEEN OF THE NORTH," by Miss McWatt, daughter of the Mayor of Collingwood. After returning, on board the CLIFTON, a lunch was spread, and the health of her owners drunk together with that of Capt. Smith who had kindly placed his steamer CLIFTON at the disposal of the Collingwood people. The wharf was at last reached, and every one left for their homes in good humour with themselves and all mankind. We should mention that the finisher of the vessel is Mr. John Potter of Oakville. who has done himself much credit and satisfied all interested. Capt. A. Martin, also of Oakville, will sail her, and we wish him every success with his staunch vessel. ---- Globe,
Barrie Northern Advance
. . . . .
Launch of a Brig at Nottawasaga River
A large vessel of about 380 tons or 16,000 bushels of grain capacity was launched on the 10lh inst. at Nottawasaga River - A number of persons from the surrounding country besides a party from Collingwood, brought by the steamer CLIFTON were present.. At 4 o'clock the ropes were cut and the vessel started in splendid style into her native element after being christened QUEEN OF THE NORTH by Mrs. McWatt, wife of the Mayor of Collingwood. The vessel is built of the best description of seasoned oak. well fastened and pronounced by competent persons to be second to none afloat for strength and material. Her outfit is all of the very best to be had in New York or in the country. After the launch the CLIFTON returned to Collingwood. Meantime a number of ladies and gentlemen sat down to a lunch and ample justice was done it. Among the toasts given were the healths of the owner and Capt Smith of the steamer CLIFTON who very liberally brought the party to the launch at great inconvenience to himself The QUEEN OF THE NORTH is owned by A. M. Smith and G. H. Wyatt of this city, and has been finished in a creditable manner by Mr. John Potter, of Oakville. She is valued at $13,000, and will, no doubt prove a profitable vessel, being suited to any route, besides these lakes, she may be required to navigate. In a few days she will be loaded for Montreal and the command of Capt A. Martin, an old veteran on these lakes.
The Owen Sound Comet
June 14, 861
A new Canadian brig, called the QUEEN OF THE NORTH, lay at anchor in the stream opposite the city during yesterday, upward bound. We have received no particulars relative to where she was built. She presents the appearance of a fine, staunch, sea-going craft.
Detroit Free Press
August 6, 1861
QUEEN OF THE NORTH, Schooner Days by C.H.J.Snider
Toronto Telegram March 14th. 1931
The keel of the QUEEN OF THE NORTH was laid a few years after the schooner H.B. BISHOP was wrecked near the mouth of the Nottawasaga River, perhaps she was intended to offset the Bishops" awful warningl" but as proof of the Nottawasaga being a real shipping port, she Tarried. Her timbers, gleaming yellow from the adze-blade, bleached to grey and weathered over before her planking was completed. if she was built in the bush, she was also well seasoned. She lay a year unfinished.
At length John Potter from Oakville took on the task of completing her, Potter built many lake schooners and was an adept at finishing what proved to hot or too heavy for those who had begun it. Potter brought his gang of shipwrights and caulkers and riggers from Lake Ontario, built a camp like a lumber shanty, and soon the area rung to the noise of the caukers irons and the thud of the spike mauls, Adam Dudgeon, later Mayor of Collingwood worked at the building as did the father of John Burney, lawyer of that town.
The day came in 1861, when the bush built ship stood ready for launching, gleaming in fresh green paint.
Brig QUEEN OF THE NORTH. Official Canada No. - none. Of 347 tons Reg. Built Nottawasaga, Ont., 1861. Home port, Toronto, Ont. 125.0 x 23.2 x 10.8 Owned by H.W. Jackman, of Toronto, Ont.
List of Vessels on the Registry Books of the
Dominion of Canada on December 31, 1886