We were honored by the arrival in this port on Sunday evening, of a splendid bark rigged craft called the RED WHITE AND BLUE, which, for beauty of model and strength of build, will well compare with any other afloat on western waters, and of this there can be no 2 opinions. She was built at Madison, Ohio, on the south shore of Lake Erie, by Messrs. A. & D.E. Bailey, whose fame in naval architecture has, until recently, been, as it were, under a cloud; but certain it is, this specimen of their mechanism reflects high credit, on their skill as master shipbuilders. The RED WHITE AND BLUE is not only beautiful, but she has been well put together. She was built for Capt. James Butler, of Buffalo, and will carry 26,000 bushels of grain. Capt. Levi Davis is in command, who is every inch a sailor, from the crown of his head to the soles of his feet. Success to the RED WHITE AND BLUE.
Detroit Free Press
May 5, 1863