THE ROCKET AND THE COMET. -- These two admirable propellers have just come out from the yard of Messrs. Peck & Masters, and are ready to move. In fact the COMET is now loaded. The ROCKET loads immediately.
These propellers are built for the New York Central Railroad line, and will run between this port and Buffalo. The ROCKET and COMET are all that a skilful use of materials can make. They have over-head arches 15 by 16 inches, bolted through and through with screw bolts, one foot apart, and secured to the hull by rods 2-3/4 inch iron, kneed in every beam with hanging knees. The arrangements for freight and crew is perfect, and the capacity of each is for 5,500 barrels flour, the ROCKET measuring 611 tons, and the COMET measuring 621 tons. The engines are low pressure, oscillating, with cylinder 38 inches. The Cuyahoga Steam Works built these engines, and so far as their character is concerned nothing further can be required, as the work turned out of this establishment either for steamboats, propellers, locomotives, or stationary engines cannot be excelled.
The ROCKET is officered by Wm. Watts, Captain; M. Driscoll, 1st. Mate; Geo. Burton, 2nd. Mate; C. L. Baker 1st. Engineer; E. Lindsay 2nd. Engineer.
The COMET is officered by H. Watts, Captain; Robert Watts, 1st. Mate; Wm. Curtiss, Engineer.
The seamanship and character of the Brother's Watts are duly appreciated, and the New York Central have shown admirable judgment in confiding their interest to such men. -- Cleveland Herald.
Buffalo Daily Courier
Saturday, May 9, 1857
. . . . .
The Cleveland Herald announces the completion of two new propellers, the ROCKET and the COMET, built for the New York Central Railroad line, the former measuring 611 and the latter 621 tons. They are fine boats, thoroughly built, with low-pressure oscillating engines. William Watts commands the ROCKET, and H. Watts the COMET.
Buffalo Daily Republic
Tuesday, May 12, 1857
. . . . .
Propeller ROCKET. U. S. No. 21144. Of 611 tons gross. Built Cleveland, Ohio, 1857. First Home port, Buffalo, N.Y. Disposition: - Rig changed to barge October 2, 1877
Merchant Steam Vessels of the U. S. A.
Lytle - Holdcamper List, 1790 to 1868