This splendid steam boat entered our harbor for the first time, on Sunday morning last. She is truly a magnificent boat; and by far superior to any vessel of the kind which has hitherto sailed Lake Erie. She is 180 feet long, 29 feet wide, and carried 605 tons. In adition to a number of staterooms, she has three cabins, which, for taste, neatness and splendor are not, we venture to assist, surpassed by any boat in the United States. The number of berths is 166. She is propelled by two low pressure engines of 100 horsepower each. These, together with the other necessary apparatus, were manufactured at Pittsburg, and cost, we understand, about twenty thousand dollars. The transportation alone of the machinery, we are informed, cost about three thousand dollars.
This boat was built at Huron, by the "Huron Steam Boat Company," under the supervision of Capt. Walker. She is of a handsome model, and constructed in a substantial and workmanlike manner, which reflects honour upon the architect and does credit, not only to the place at which it was erected, but to the enterprise and public spirit of the individuals at whose instance it was constructed. We have not learned that the WASHINGTON is to run in any regular line of boats. Indeed, she is a line of herself.
Cleveland Weekly Herald
September 7, 1833 p.2 col.4