We are informed by one of the building committee, that the Steam Boat " WILLIAM THE FOURTH," building at Gananoque, under the superintendence of Mr. Jesse Woods of New York, is progressing rapidly.
July 2, 1831
. . . . .
A large concourse of people gathered at Gananoque on Saturday last to witness the launch of the splendid steamboat WILLIAM 1V, which was built there this summer. From Kingston, Prescott, Brockville and Ogdensburgh the principal parties were composed, attracted there by the novelty of the sight and the extraordinary favorableness of the weather. At the appointed hour the boat glided in magnificent style into her natural element, amidst the enthusiastic acclamations of the multitude. Her dimensions run thus:-
Length on deck 135 feet
Breadth of beam 25 feet
Depth of hold 10 feet
Supposed draught of
water when loaded 5 feet 6 inches
She is to be propelled by an engine of 100 horse power. Should this spirit of steamboat building be conducted with the same energy that has prevailed on these lakes for the last few years, the appearance of a sail vessel is likely to be as rare as the former craft were 10 years ago.
November 5, 1831
. . . . .
Resolved, that the thanks of the committee are due to Mr. Jesse Wood, for his assiduous attention to the interests of the stock-holders in building the steamer WILLIAM THE FOURTH, and for the workman-like, and in every respect, satisfactory manner in which he has completed the vessel.
November 26, 1831
. . . . .
A circular, issued in 1835, to the shareholders of the steamer WILLIAM 1V, has been shown around Gananoque. It gives the Financial standing of the company. Because of improvements, there was no dividend declared. The steamer WILLIAM 1V was built at Gananoque in 1832-33. The spot from which she was launched was just inside the southeast point of the bay, not far from where the railroad tracks now end. The boat was launched in the fall and remained at anchor in the bay till the following January, when a channel was cut in the ice, and she was taken around to a wharf where the railroad station is now, and the boiler and machinery, we believe, came from Oswego; they were brought over in the fall, and it was intended then to bring the boat around to the wharf, but the winter came on early, and she was frozen in before being moved. The job of cutting a channel was a laborious one, the ice being four feet thick, and the blocks having to be taken out of the water. The old WILLIAM 1V was a well-known boat on the river for twenty-five years, and was different from other boats in that she had four smoke-stacks. After a few years of general freight and passenger service, she fell into possession of Messrs. Calvin & Co., and was used as a tug. Her remains are in the marine graveyard at Garden Island.
Daily British Whig, Kingston
October 27, 1890