Stillman Witt (Steamboat), 31 Oct 1890
- Full Text
ONE OF FULTON'S BOATS.
B.W. Camp, one of the post office inspectors of this district, has made some curious discoveries while traveling over the country in search of those who endeavor to evade Uncle Sam's postal laws. One of these discoveries has an historical interest, in view of the fact that it has reference to the first building of the steamboats by Robert Fulton.
Away up in Duluth, Minn., is the hull of the STILLMAN WITT, stranded on the mud banks, while her engines have been removed and are used to run a shingle mill. This boat, according to Mr. Camp's information, was one of the three originally built by Fulton, and she ran for a time between New York and Albany.
Shortly after the completion of the Erie Canal the WITT was towed through the canal to Buffalo, the guards and paddle boxes having been removed, and for number of years was engaged in lake traffic between that point and Cleveland.
The baptismal name of the boat is not now known, and the present name is that of an old time lake captain who owned her after she left the Hudson River. Capt. Minch, of Buffalo, is authority for the statement that the WITT is one of the original three. If the old boat can be put together again it is proposed to run her down the lakes and exhibit her at the 1893 exposition, as no better illustration of progress, by contrast, could be shown. - Philadelphia Times.
Friday, October 31, 1890
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- early history ?
- Date of Original:
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- William R. McNeil
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes