PALATIAL JUNIATA LAUNCHED AT CLEVELAND
Cleveland, Dec. 17 - The new combined passenger and package freight steamer JUNIATA was successfully launched at the plant of the American Shipbuilding Co. here today in the presence of a large concourse of people. More than ordinary interest centered in the launch of this ship as it is the first big passenger boat built in Cleveland since the NORTH WEST and NORTH LAND came out 10 years ago.
The new boat is practically a duplicate of the stm. TIONESTA, which ever since she came out 2 years ago, has proved to be one of the most popular on the chain of lakes. The JUNIATA was christened by Miss Edwine Noye, a granddaughter of Vice-President E.T. Evans, of the Anchor line. Miss. Noye was attended on the launching stand by her mother, Mrs. Albert Anderson Noye, Miss. Greenough, Vice President E.T. Evans, western manager of the Anchor Line; Walter Thayer, eastern manager; D.M. Brigham, special agent; Charles J. Fox, chief engineer of the line; John Marron, Cleveland agent; B.E. Bourke, Detroit agent; Capt. Edwin Martin of the TIONESTA; James C. Wallace and Forbes Wallace, W.L. Wetmore, Robert Logan and Edward Hopkins, of the American Shipbuilding Co. H.T. Andrus, J.J. Shepard, Geo. W. Halsheer and Ralph D. Williams.
The launch was a success in every way, and after the big ship was in the watera lunch was served the launching party, at the Union Club.
The only notable additions on the JUNIATA as compared with the TIONESTA, will be 6 parlor staterooms on the upper deck, just aft of the texas. The main deck, with the exception of the engine space and small social hall, will be devoted entirely to freight, as will the hold. The promenade deck will be devoted to staterooms and the office of the purser and steward.
The engine of the new ship will be of the quadruple expansion type, same dimensions and power as those of the TIONESTA, namely cylinder 22 x 311/2 x 63 inches. The steam will be supplied by 4 cylindrical boilers 12 ft. 6 inches diameter by 11 ft. 3 inches long, between tube plates. The boiler being built for a working pressure of 210 pounds and fitted with a Howden. The machinery of the vessel is designed for an average of 2,300 horse power with 100 revolutions per minute.
The contract provides that the new boat shell be completed in time for the opening of navigation 1905. Her speed will be about 16 miles per hour.
With the latest addition, the Anchor Line will have a fleet of 5 passenger steamers calling between Buffalo and Duluth, stopping at Erie, Cleveland, Detroit, Mackinac Island, Sault Ste. Marie, Marquette and Houghton.
The general dimensions of the JUNIATA are as follows: Length over all 360 ft.; length of keel 346 ft.; beam 45 ft.; depth 23 ft.
The hull construction is of steel up to the promenade deck. The hull is divided into 9 watertight compartments by 8 bulkheads. There is a doubel bottom with a water balast capacity of 3,500 tons, coal bunker capacity 350 tons and total passenger capacity 350.
A feature of this vessel as well as of the TIONESTA is the location of the dinning saloon and social hall which are on the deck above the sleeping cabins.
The entrance for her first class passengers is located on the main deck and occupies a space of 20 ft. in length, extending entirely across the ship, from which broad staurs lead to the berth deck. The berth deck occupies the full width of the ship, and is arranged with 4 lines of staterooms extending from the forward bulkhead to the stack. The rooms are exceptionally large. each containing 2 berths, a cushined sofa, porcelain lavatory supplied with water under pressure, electric lamps and service calls. There will be a covered stairway heading from the promenade deck to the awning deck. Deadlights instead of windows will be used in the berth deck, thus giving her more the appearance of an ocean steamer.
One of the interesting features in connection with the launch of the JUNIATA was the presence of E.T. Evans, Vice-President of the Anchor line. In 1862 Mr. Evans owned and was present at the launching of the stm. MERCHANT, built by david bell, of Buffalo. The MERCHANT was of 720 tons burden, measures 300 ft. long, 29 ft. beam, and 14 ft. deep. She had one direct acting condensing engine, diameter of cylinder 40 inches with 36 inch stroke. The diameter of the propeller was 10 ft. Capt. Albert Briggs, now a well known resident of Buffalo, was master of the MERCHANT when she came out, and now 42 years later, Mr. Evans was present at the launching of the most modern and complete passenger steamer on the lakes, equipped with every modern device and equalling an ocean steamer.
The two ships show the wonderful strides in marine architecture and the advancement in the construction of ships which has occurred during the time of Mr. Evans.
Detroit Free Press
December 18, 1904 7-2 & 3